Self Drive Italy - itinerary recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all ! We are early days planning a self drive trip in Italy, Sept / Oct.... leisurely pace, no big rush.... we've done the main cities / sites a few times (Rome, Venice, Pisa, Florence etc), and are considering renting a car and driving up the west coast from Rome to Genoa.... while it says you can make this drive in about 4 hours, we're thinking of a slower pace, maybe 5 + days, stopping at small towns on the coast along the way.... alternatively, maybe pick a spot roughly half way and stay 3 or 4 days as a base and make day trips ? I would appreciate any suggestions for itinerary, interesting towns (historical etc), hotel / B&B's, restaurants. We may extend further up the coast to Cinque Terre. Much appreciated
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 09:50 AM

First of all, the Cinque Terre are south of Genoa and would make a great place to stop for a few days. We stayed in Manarola for two or three nights and enjoyed it. There's not much to do there except hike and eat (some swimming but no beaches) but that suited us perfectly. The ambiance is wonderful and other villages will offer other activities -- beaches, boat rides, night life. Because of the terrain the CT may not be a good base for day trips elsewhere by car. We traveled by train and it looked like car parking was above the village and a good walk away.

Genoa itself is a big city and worth exploring but we didn't spend much time there. We were returning our rental car and ran into a problem. Several locals were extraordinarily friendly and helpful to us so I have a very warm spot in my heart for Genoa.

Don't know the coast from Rome up to Pisa at all so I can't help you there. We took the train from La Spezia to Florence. You should be able to find something to explore. Have fun!
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks..... yes, I knew Cinque Terre was south of Genoa, dunno why I said otherwise ! cheers
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 11:31 AM

Northern Lazio and southern Tuscany are full of Etruscan sites. I'm less familiar with Lazio, but in Tuscany, I stayed in Pitigliano, Orbetello, Massa Marittima, and Vetulonia. Loved them all, and there are plenty of other appealing spots in the region.
Further north, I loved the Lerici-Tellaro-Montemarcello area of Liguria (smaller, more confined area, so you could do the bulk in Tuscany and then stop here for a night or two).
If you are more interested in mountains, the Garfagnana is lovely. I bet fall is nice there.
Old Dec 24th, 2022, 05:48 AM

Check Orvieto, Chiusi, Tarquinia, Isola del Giglio, Grosseto, Pienza, Montepulciano, Santo Oliveto Maggiore, Siena, San Gimignano, Elba Island, Volterra, Massa Marittima, Carrara, Lerici, Portofino/San Fruttuoso.........
Old Dec 24th, 2022, 07:07 AM

Stop overnight in Tarquinia to visit its Etruscan museum and tombs:

https://flic.kr/p/7pip3w https://flic.kr/p/7pioQd