Villages north of Venice -

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are working on a trip that would takes us north of Venice - not Trieste nor Treviso, not Padova...where we've visited already but places like Pordone and neighboring towns. I know there is a silent film festival in Pordone in Oct - when we will be in the area but I'd appreciate hearing from travelers who have actually been in that area or approximately that area . We will be winding up in Venice where we'll stay put for a month..
Thanks, - all suggestions are welcomed.
Giannetta
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 05:55 PM

I think you will like the area. Except for a few Americans from the military bases, there don't seem to be many tourists, so it is kind of that "off the beaten path" place people often ask about. Pordenone is a sweet little town. I've stayed there and especially enjoyed evening walks and cafes. There is a fabulous chocolateria there and a couple of excellent restaurants. I can't remember the names right off, but will nag myself to look them up for you. One is a little place where the chef makes only a couple of main dishes (meat or fish) and pairs with it whatever is fresh that day that he feels like cooking. It is really special, IMHO, no English spoken and very authentic local fare.

DD has stayed in Asolo and loved it - picturesque and medieval.

Have you been to Vincenza? It is West, rather than North, but if you haven't been there, it is beautiful and well worth a couple of day's visit. It is one of the more over-looked places in the area and I much prefer it to Verona or Padua.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you been to Bassano del Grappa?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sassafrass and kybourbon,

Yes, we have been to Bassano del Grappa and found it interesting and pretty...sad though reading the history of the partisans all hanged by the Nazis on the Main Street! However, it is a good suggestion and we did think about returning as we were only there for a day many years ago to get out of the Carnivale chaos in Venice on a Sunday afternoon.

Re. Pordenone, Vicenza amd Asolo. I appreciate those suggestions as excepting for Vicenza they will be new experiences for us. And, like Bassano we were only in Vicenza for an afternoon outing from our base in Verona....we don't need to return to Verona and we feel we didn't really do justice to Vicenza!

Do you have suggestions re. places to stay in Pordenone, Vicenza or Asolo? Also, might one be our base or are they too distant from each other to do that. We especially enjoy staying in one place and learning that place rather than sleeping all over the map!

Thanks,
Giannetta
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
ekc

We stayed 3 nights in Asolo at Albergo al Sole (Via Collegio, 33, www.albergoalsole.com) and really loved it. We then spent 3 nights near Cormons at Relais Russiz Superiore (Via Russiz, 7, Capriva del Friuli). Also highly recommended! The scenery was gorgeous, the food fantastic, the people super friendly and virtually no other tourists!
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you also ekc. I will also a look at the hotel in Asolo as well as relais Russiz Superiore. Good ideas..