Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seine dinner/dance cruise: romantic or hokey/too touristy?

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 07:17 PM
Wendy

My husband and I will be in Paris for 5 days in July. We would like to do something special and romantic. I've seen ads for dinner cruises on the Seine with dancing, etc... We'd like to do something more fancy than the oft-mentioned evening picnic at the Eiffel Tower/along the banks of the Seine... Anybody had first-hand experience (or nearly-so) who would like to comment on the dinner cruise idea? Any other suggestions?

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Donna

This is an oft debated topic on the AOL boards. Everyone who's done this has really enjoyed it. No complaints about the food either (most tour guides advise the food isn't all that great). Advice is to go on one of the smaller boats for dinner/dancing (not the Bateaux Mouches). And, don't book ahead on the web - same dinner cruises cost much less if you book yourself or through the concierge when you arrive.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Sandi

My husband I just returned from Paris.I have always wanted to do the dinner tours on the Seine but he was not interested. He was finally going to give in this time. When we checked into it,I was the one who backed out. The price was pretty high for our standards.Atleast $100.00 each without drinks (what's dinner without wine?)The boats looked pretty touristy and not very romantic. So, we had a very nice dinner in a small Paris restaurant near Sacre Couer.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Wendy

Donna,

Did you have the same experience as Sandi (i.e., $100/person, drinks not included)? Are they all that expensive?

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Donna

Actually, I did have the same experience as Sandi - we opted to have a nice dinner elsewhere, then take a moonlight cruise. What convinced us, though, is that we decided we'd more enjoy the scenery along the way without eating at the same time (would rather be on the outside of the boat than seated at a table). This time, our thought is that for the same price, we could enjoy a really fine dining experience (so reserved at Jules Verne). If you are really interested in a dinner cruise (and they do come highly recommended for the music and dancing), the Bateaux Parisiens looked the best to me. They have a website http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/engl...embarquez.html where you can get prices and sample menus, etc. I forgot to look, but you may be able to reserve there as well. Not only are the boats the most appealing, they start and end at the Tour Eiffel. I would recommend not booking through one of the "tour" companies (Cityrama, Paris Visions, etc.) as the price will be higher if you do. All in all, though, if this is something you feel like doing - go for it! It's the things we don't do that we regret...

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 04:01 PM
David

Wendy

Donna has given you a good site to look at.

Last November, I took my wife on a dinner cruise for her birthday. The food was good, the wine was great, the music and dancing was very enjoyable and the staff were extremely professional.

When I had first enquired about the cruise, I had informed them that it was to be for my wife's birthday. This was the only time that it was mentioned to them, However, on the night, the a birthday cake was brought out to her to the music of "Happy Birthday to you".

I highly recommend them, and as Donna has said - "It's the things we don't do that we regret... "

Enjoy your cruise.

David

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Karen

We loved the night cruise, the views were just gorgeous and lighting along the way, extremely effective. The dinner was absolutely awful and I would never recommend eating on the boat. You can eat alot better food at a really nice restaurant for the price they charge and our group was highly dissatisfied with that part of the evening.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 04:11 AM
Bob

My wife and I did the dinner cruise on Bateaux Parisiens. It is special and romantic. I know it's a lot of money but book the 1st Class dinner. This way you get your own table in the front of the boat, otherwise you share a table with 4 other people.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 01:42 PM
Marie

Just went last week. We went on Bateaux Mouches, it was 550 FF each, it was very nice romantic evening. It included 1 bottle of champagne and 1 small bottle of white and red wines. It was a nice evening. Paris at night is sooo beautiful. Worth the money.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 11:08 AM
christine

We did one of the dinner cruise on Bateau Parisian. It was nice but I didn't think it was worth the price. I enjoyed taking an evening tour on one of the boats with the open-air upper deck. My husband and I had a wonderful time on one of those (we departed from Pont Neuf). I would splurge a nice dinner at a good restaurant and then go for a boat ride afterwards.