Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Segovia - Battle cochinillo: Meson de Candido vs. Duque vs. Jose Maria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/segovia-battle-cochinillo-meson-de-candido-vs-duque-vs-jose-maria-853385/)

HeaAndrews Aug 6th, 2010 09:10 AM

Segovia - Battle cochinillo: Meson de Candido vs. Duque vs. Jose Maria

My husband and I are doing a day trip to Segovia and of course we have heard about the famed cochinillo. I have been reading multiple on-line reviews and guides and all have different opinions on who has the best. We are not looking for not fancy meal, but somewhere where the locals go and where the food is an excellent value for the price. I would be disappointed if we ended up in one a place that had more Americans than Spaniards. So I need help! Which of the three fits this description the best? Can you order cochinillo for two? (I have heard one is enough to feed five!) How much can we expect to pay for a dinner at these establishments?

Thanks in advance for the help!

lincasanova Aug 6th, 2010 10:38 AM

Well.. no prices on his menu at Candido. I would figure.. ordering a salad or first plate to share.. then each a portion of cochinillo, and one dessert to share, water, wine and coffee,.. about 70-85E.

I have only been to Candido. Hope someone else chimes in.

HeaAndrews Aug 6th, 2010 11:03 AM

Thanks lincasanova. So it sounds like at Candido you order per serving of cochinillo? At others, descriptions have depicted them as one pig per multiple people.

I have looked at all of their web sites and none of them list prices (smart move). Also, most travel sites give a $$$-$$$$, but they never define what that means exactly.

CathyM Aug 6th, 2010 11:08 AM

I ate at Jose Maria and Candido during my first trip to Segovia almost 10 years ago. Candindo was definately more touristy with a big show put on with the cochinillo. We ate lunch there with a view overlooking the adqueduct and it was amazing.

The night before we dined at Jose Maria. Personally I think the food was better at Jose Maria but it doesn't have the view offered by Candido. The restaurant interior is quite charming.

So - it's a give and take. Both places were fantistic though.

Oh, I didn't have a problem eating an entire portion by myself...but I can be a big eater in Spain ;)

ekscrunchy Aug 6th, 2010 11:14 AM

The pigs are tiny baby pigs--under 5 kilos whole-- so they are not large enough for multiple servings. We had an excellent meal at Jose Maria--I doubt if you can go wrong at any of the places you mentioned.
As I recall, one piglet serves two persons..more or less. Here is what I wrote in my report--see the entry for 5 June, 2006:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-segovia.cfm

If you have time, you should also try the suckling lamb.

lincasanova Aug 6th, 2010 11:17 AM

I can't imagine they give you a whole cochinillo. When you get there you will be able to find that out easily!

I would think it is a portion but my experience is long ago. i have read here good reviews about jose Maria .. not sure you also get the view of the aqueduct.

Most dinners in Spain are near the prices I gave you. However, if you are careful about not ordering too much, and not letting the restaurant say "I'll bring out a plate of ham and cheese while you are deciding".. or let them take charge of what you should eat.. you can control it a bit.

Remember that some fish/seafood and some meats are sold by the 100 grams. (This will be stated on the menu). It's like in the states "market price".

Enjoy your suckling piglet!

Actually, we had a fabulous suckling pig "confit" at Blackbird in Chicago!

jelopez33 Aug 6th, 2010 01:09 PM

HeaAndrews:
Last june we were at José María invited by friends; we shared salads and then 3 of us asked for cochinillo and one of the ladies went with another specialty.Everything was excellent,and please, don't forget to ask for tarta de Segovia ,the best sweet ever!!!!

ekscrunchy Aug 6th, 2010 02:04 PM

I paid about 20 euro for a suckling pig--enough for two-- at Jose Maria, about 4 years ago.

lincasanova Aug 6th, 2010 03:29 PM

In that case dinner should be much less for two.

josele Aug 7th, 2010 11:21 AM

In any place, the menu is:
Sopa Castellana
Cochinillo
Ponche Segoviano.
Vino de la casa
I ate at JoseMaria and it was excellent.

Aduchamp1 Aug 7th, 2010 12:40 PM

Has anyone been to Arevalo recently? They used to famed for their cochinillo.

Revulgo Aug 23rd, 2010 04:28 AM

Aduchamp,
Arévalo is famed for their cochinillo and for their "lechazo" (suckling lamb). I recommend 'Restaurante Siboney' at Calle de los Figones.