Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seen,heard about,or participated in the Friday night skate marathon in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Dianne

I am very curious about this event. I read a big article in Life magazine a while back, about how 25,000 Parisians roller blade through blocked off streets every Friday night for 3 hours. The 2 teenagers that I am bringing to Paris in a couple weeks want to do this! I am wondering if it is worth it for me to bring their skates. I have also heard that there is a milder one on Sunday afternoons for families and beginners. Does anyone know anything at all about these events and if they are still going on this summer?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 09:57 PM
Christine

I did observe this last October. Looked like a great time, wish I had my rollerblades. People of all ages participating. It would probably be possible to rent blades once you get to Paris. I don't know where it started, but we saw them near the Latin Quarter.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 01:46 AM
Tracy

Hey Diane -- <BR> <BR>I've done it too and it's a blast! The best way to see Paris by Night. And you feel like the President of the USA, whizzing around the streets while the police close off the intersections & clear cars from the roads ahead . . . <BR> <BR>Every Friday that it's not raining it starts at 10pm at Place de l'Italie in the 13th. Official website: <BR>http://www.pari-roller.com/ <BR> <BR>Be sure the teens know how to brake (T-stops are best) because every street leading off Place de l'Italie is straight *downhill* . . . <BR> <BR>(And why not install yourself in a Montparnasse cafe to watch the thousands go by, it's really something to see!)Have fun!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Dianne

Well, it sounds like a terrific time on friday night from what you both have said. Thanks, Tracy, for the website!! It has all the information that I need. When I emailed them, I found out that we can rent good skates and protective gear for about 50-60FF at Pierre qui Roule - 139, bvd St Michel in the 5th near where we are staying! That might be better than lugging their rollerblades with us across the Atlantic. Let's hope it doesn't rain!

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Donna

We just got back from Paris. Emerging from the stairs by the boat docks across from the Tour Eiffel, thousands and thousands of roller bladers were speeding by! There was no crossing the street until they had passed. Seemed to go on forever. These folks (young and old, experienced and inexperienced) were having the time of their lives and it was a joy to watch - unexpected for us, too, as we hadn't heard of it. After we got home, I found an article from the LA Times (?). Here's the link (copy and paste it into your browser):http://www.startribune.com/stOnLine/...000&word=paris <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Heather

I witnessed the beginning of one of these a couple of weeks ago from the Paris Opera House. The street was swelled with people. At first I was alarmed, then I found out what it was. It sounds like a blast. I wish I had known about it before I went...I would have liked to participate!

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Dianne

Thanks again for your positive feedback which makes me feel good about this event for the teens. It sounds like so much fun, maybe I should do it too! I'm just afraid that my legs will be too tired from sightseeing. <BR> <BR>Donna, I tried to get to the article you mentioned but I can't get through to it or find it at the Star Tribune. I'll try again later.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:59 AM
topper

up again!