seeking travel tips in italy and crotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a family trip (wife, 13yr girl, me) to Italy and Croatia. Plan to enter into Milan and travel down (car rental or train, bus?: suggestions needed) to Rome and Troy, and to Dvornik (by ferry or train, bus, or air?) in Croatia to fly out to my country. The whole period is about 2~3 weeks. Any suggestions regarding itinery and logistics will be highly appreciated^^.
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to be more clear about where you want to go. Troy in Turkey? Dvornik in Slovakia or Dubrovnik in Croatia?

Also, when is the trip? Not all types of transportation operate year-round.
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
kja

If you are hoping to visit Italy AND Croatia with only 2 or 3 weeks, you will need to be EXTREMELY selective. I recommend that you and your family spend some time with good guidebooks, perhaps at your local library, to narrow down your options.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 05:04 AM

Yes - and agree that you need a good map to better understand where you are going.

The only "Troy" I am aware of is in Turkey - far off your itinerary.

If you specify dates of the trip and which places you want to go (with correct spellings) people can be much more help.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM

We just came from Croatia and Italy on a 19 day NCL cruise. Currency was an issue. If you take out 400-500E at a time chances are good you will get 50E bills which unless you will be paying a hotel bill, I found difficult to change but at least you can use throughout Italy.

Croatia: some places take E but some only Croatian currency, and only good there so I had to figure where I was going and what I was going to buy so I had enough but not too much to have to convert it back.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you folks! Let me be clear about the places for my visit. I'd like to visit Rome, Florence, Milan and some parts of Southern France and Genva in Swiss to fly out. My travel period is early January for two weeks. Perhaps I can fly into Rome and go way up to Swiss. Suggestions will be appreciated for transportation and accommodations. How is travelling in Europe during first half of January like?
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 08:52 AM

You do not have tickets already? That is good because it might have complicated your itinerary. Does your two weeks include travel time to/from Europe, or is that time on the ground? Makes a very big difference.

With checking out of hotel, getting to stations, travel, getting to hotel, you can expect to lose a good bit of time each time you move, anywhere from part of a morning to most of a day. Factor that in when planning your time in places.

Make sure the things you want to see or do will be open when you are there.

January can be cold and snowy depending on where you go. You will certainly need warm layers of clothes, and can not expect to sit out at sidewalk cafes to eat, though in a few places there might be heated outdoor places with plastic walls. Unless you like cold weather activities, expect to spend time indoors at museums, churches, etc.

What exactly are your personal interests? What do you want to see? Museums? Hikes in snow? Ancient ruins?

Until you have an itinerary in place, there is no point making recs for hotels, or how to get from point to point. In general though, trains will be best most times, certainly in Italy.

Since Rome is important, make a start for a plan by landing there. Stay at least 4 nts. That is not much for Rome - lots to see there and you will be jet lagged the fist day.

Day 1, depart home (over night flight?)
Day 2, arrive Rome - 4 nts
Day 6, travel to Florence by train, train time isn't long, but takes time from hotel to station, etc, so arrive Florence mid to late morning - 2 nts (3 if you want to do a day trip anywhere nearby)
Day 8, travel to?
Etc., etc.