Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking tour companay recommendations for Normandy and Paris

May 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm helping my parents find a tour company and looking for recommendations. They want a company that offers quality tours of Normandy and WWII sites with experienced guides. When in Paris, they'll want a tour company who offers a nice balance of guided site seeing and plenty of free time for wandering. My parents are in their 60's and up for a full day of touring. They'll want nice but not luxurious accommodations and meals. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Linea
May 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM

If it was me (or my parents) I'd recommend going to Paris independently and then do a tour - either a day trip or a 2 night/3 day-er to Normandy from Paris.

Your parents are not old, and Paris is one of the VERY easiest cities to navigate on one's own. Why be stuck eating in places arranged by a tour company - when there are thousands of wonderful cafes/bistros/restaurants. Restaurants that can accommodate tour groups are usually pretty bad.
May 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM

we booked a tour of the D-Day sites with Col. Michael Chilcott. He lives just outside Bayeux, is a retired British army officer and I believe his father fought in Normandy. He will tailor the tour to your wants/interests. It is not inexpensive but its customized. We were allowed to spend as much time at various places as we wanted - no hurried stops, etc. Since we arrived at the American cemetery just at closing, he came back the next morning and took us back at no extra charge. As for a hotel in Bayeux, I'd recommend Churchill or Lion D'Or. Both are well located, have parking and charming. We did not use a tour guide in paris but did have several books which we used to map our ways each day.
May 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Try davestravelhut.com and click on Trafaglar tours, they are not as constricted as years ago
May 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM

I took this Rick Steves tour of Paris, Normandy and the Loire Valley and it was excellent. The local guide at the invasion area is an expert. There will be people here who slam Rick Steves though.

http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours08/...rl/code/FRH08/
May 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Hire Michael Osman for a tour in Paris. He will tailor a tour of what they WANT to see. And he's a lot more reasonable than an agency .

www.geocities.com/parisfinder/
May 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I highly recommend Battlebus Tours of Bayeux. You can either go as part of a group of 8 people in their minibuses, or for a set fee you can book a guide exclusively for yourself and work out a specific itinerary with them. They are not the cheapest, but they really know their stuff and as in all things, you get what you pay for. Their guides are extremely knowledgeable, and even provided myself (an expert on the Normandy battles) with some new information. You can reach Battlebus at www.battlebus.fr.

If your parents want a clean, simple hotel, I recommend the Reine Mathilde Hotel in Bayeux. It provides good basic accomodation and is located steps from the Bayeux Tapestry, the Bayeux Cathedral and the Place du Quebec where all the licensed tour companies pick up their clients. They also have a very good restaurant in the hotel. Their website is www.hotel-reinemathilde.com.
May 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
mms

Another vote for Battlebus. We used them last summer and were very pleased.

In Bayeux we stayed at the Hotel Churchill. Great location, clean and well kept hotel, very nice staff...we would definitely stay there again. BTW, I was with my mom who is in her 60's and she was pleased with this.

The Battlebus pickup/dropoff location is adjacent to the hotels parking lot, so that was nice.
May 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM

We were pleased with Battlebus also. We did the American highlights tour.