Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking the right region for first visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-the-right-region-for-first-visit-140233/)

Kjames Jan 10th, 2002 08:16 AM

Seeking the right region for first visit

My boyfriend and I plan to visit Ireland sometime in May 2002. I like museums, nightclubs, pubs, etc., and he is more interested in nature walks and scenic views. We are trying to isolate our travel to one region (e.g., North, Northeast, East) and would like your recommendation. Is there any region in Ireland that would satisfy us both?

Howard Jan 10th, 2002 09:21 AM

I would recommend Galway for the pubs, nightlife, etc. It is not big on museums, but it is a very lively small city. Nearby is the beautiful Connemara region, with great seascapes, mountains, beautiful scenery. In the other direction from Galway, is another scenic area - the cliffs of Moher and the burren.<BR><BR>If you are looking for a big city, you could combine Dubline with the nearby Wicklow mountains, but have been to all areas I mention, I would vote for Galway and around.

Kjames Jan 14th, 2002 06:35 AM

Thanks Howard. I will start researching Galway and the Connemara region this week.

Cathy Jan 14th, 2002 09:58 AM

K,<BR><BR>Galway is very touristy try the NorthWest eg Sligo and Donegal - nice long beaches, good heritage centres, pop into Northern Ireland for a quick visit to Derry. See www.ireland.travel.ie for further details,<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>Cathy

Mick Jan 15th, 2002 12:42 AM

I'd have to recommend Dublin. It's got tons of museums, tons of nightspots, tons of shopping, etc. <BR><BR>Also, the Wicklow Mountains await, just south of the city: Glendaloch, the Wicklow Way, all sorts of cool hikes. Heading the other direction (north) will place you in Carlingford, near the Coolie Mountains. C. is a neat little town on the loch which has a lot of little pubs and something like four seperate ruins (a huge castle, an abbey, etc) --- well worth a visit!!!!<BR><BR>May is a good time of year--- any sooner and it will be too cold.<BR><BR>More info is on my website!<BR><BR>Mick<BR>www.dfaguide.com

Kjames Jan 15th, 2002 04:46 AM

Thank you both Cathy and Mick! Mick, I will check out your Web site. Cathy, my boyfriend's family is actually from Donegal so I know he will be interested in doing more research on the NW region. I will also check out the Web site you recommended.

John Jan 15th, 2002 02:26 PM

Galway .... has to be Galway. Young city, good pubs, traditional music all over the place and every night, clubs, ok a few tourists but with reason. And you will be?? Connemara has walking to die for and you have County Clare just around the corner. He might like Donegal.. but hey! Have a good time!!!!

Bill Jan 18th, 2002 10:02 AM

This is a VERY hard question. I would probably recommend the west coast, and there is a lot to choose from there. I'm not sure I would spend EVERY night in the same place. Galway is a very lively city in the west, so for nightclubs it might be the best. I strongly recommend staying in B&Bs and you can find some wonderful places along the coast. Hotels are more impersonal and a lot more expensive and you'll have all the privacy you want in a B&B.<BR><BR>I agree with all of the choices though. Donegal and the Conemarra are spectacular. Further south are the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, the Ring of Kerry and Beara. May is a good month to travel (my opinion the best) so, yes you'll see tourists, but you won't be over run by them in May. In fact, I'll be there in May.<BR><BR>Good luck, and feel free to write if you would like any advice.<BR><BR>Bill