Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking Suggestions on Combining Paestum and Amalfi Coast in one day from Sorrento

Search

Seeking Suggestions on Combining Paestum and Amalfi Coast in one day from Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my kids to Italy in June and we'll be in Sorrento a week. On one of those days, my son really wants to go to Paestum. I've looked at guidebooks and it looks like we need to get from Sorrento to Salerno, and could do that either by train, bus, or ferry. I think the ferry could be fun, if it works logistically. I would appreciate any advice on Paestum and, in particular, on the logistics of getting there. I would specifically appreciate any suggestions relating to taking a ferry or cruise all or part of the way. Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
ira

Hi tt,

Take the ferry from Sorrento to Salerno. The ferry dock is about 3 blks SE from the train station in Salerno.

Take the train to Paestum. The road to the excavations (about 0.2 km) is directly opposite the exit from the train station.

There is a very nice cafe on the corner near the excavations.

It will be too late to return by ferry when you get back to Salerno. Take the SITA bus back to Sorrento via Amalfi.

See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

http://www.sitabus.it/wps/portal

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Hi TravelTrio, ira would a Sita bus trip back take forever or am I thinking about a different bus?
Also, TravelTrio, in the category of if they'd wanted to ask about it they would have, I'll add anyway that Pompeii is awesome if you haven't been yet. Followed by a trip to the Museum in Naples to see the best stuff from Pompeii is a gift to a history buff. Enjoy!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi don,

>would a Sita bus trip back take forever or am I thinking about a different bus? <

Yes, it's a long ride, but very pretty.

It's the only bus.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Oh, yes, we're definitely going to Pompeii and another day to Herculaneum. I find that keeping the postings to specific, limited issues works best. That's why I asked only about Paestum. Any other suggestions? What about historical sights on Capri?