Reload this Page >

Seeking Recommendations for City/Town in Spain

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are looking for inspiration for our next trip to Spain. We have spent a week in San Sebastian, over a week in Barcelona, and days in ports while on a cruise. We would like to find a town/city that is not large and that is a good place from which to take day/couple-day trips. We'd rent a place for at least a month. We are into food, wine, markets, relaxing, and history. We're good with inland or coastal, weather permitting. We'd like to travel within November - February, again weather permitting.
We've spent weeks on several trips in Italy, and loved places like Cortona (#1) and Florence. Does Spain have similar places you loved?
Thank you.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 05:43 PM

Seville?

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:26 AM

My vote for Malaga
Malaga Tourism, Official Website of the Department of Tourism of Malaga
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 12:54 PM

We really like the Northern coast of Spain. I would suggest you investigate Gijon (on the coast) or Oviedo--inland but a very nice city and not far from the coast. Either would open up lots of day trip possibilities--Aviles, Leon--inland, Picos de Europa mountainous area, Ribadesella (our favorite coastal town but a bit small for a month) and Llanes, another nice small coastal town. I would also suggest that instead of a full month in one place, you split the time between two places and make the second stop Bilbao or Santander. Alternately you might opt to split your time between Bilbao on the coast and Logrono in the interior with the latter providing the beauty and fun of the wonderful Spanish wine country.

Last edited by JulieVikmanis; Oct 27th, 2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JulieVikmanis View Post
We really like the Northern coast of Spain. I would suggest you investigate Gijon (on the coast) or Oviedo--inland but a very nice city and not far from the coast. Either would open up lots of day trip possibilities--Aviles, Leon--inland, Picos de Europa mountainous area, Ribadesella (our favorite coastal town but a bit small for a month) and Llanes, another nice small coastal town. I would also suggest that instead of a full month in one place, you split the time between two places and make the second stop Bilbao or Santander. Alternately you might opt to split your time between Bilbao on the coast and Logrono in the interior with the latter providing the beauty and fun of the wonderful Spanish wine country.
Northern Spain in January or February?
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 12:11 AM

I also love Gijón as a base, but in the summertime. That is why my vote for Malaga.
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 10:05 AM

Another vote for Sevilla, it would make a perfect base to visit Andalucia, either day or short overnight trips. Cordoba, Granada, Ronda and the other hill towns are a short distance away, with fast train and bus connections if you don’t want to drive. The coast and Malaga are also easy to reach, though January/February may not be beach weather, even in Southern Spain. Plus loads to see and do in Sevilla itself.

We were in the region early March of this year and it was extremely pleasant, with bright sunny days. Ronda and Granada were a little chilly at night, but still perfect weather. Sevilla got rather warm during the daytime, especially since it was our last halt before just making it back by the skin of our teeth before borders closed.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 10:53 PM

Too chilly for me then, but I like Cadiz. The city is lovely, nice day trips from there and nice coast. One problem for me would be that I love eating outside, sitting in plazas, etc. and it is too cold for that in winter. I also liked Alicante, but think there would not be enough to do in winter and not good for day trips.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 12:32 AM

IMO, Alicante is dead in winter.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take it that you mean November/February 21/22? It certainly wouldn't be worthwhile in 20/21 as most places will be closed due to lockdown in Spain. At that time of the year Northern Spain wouldn't be my choice due to the weather, but Andalucia should be OK. Not swimming weather and it will be a little chilly at night for eating outside but pleasant enough days.

The area will be quiet in the winter and many hotels and restaurants close until Easter or just before, so do your research carefully. Malaga is a good choice as are any of the white villages around Ronda. Seville and Cordoba are also good choices.