Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking Milan advice. (Train-city-hotel near MXP) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-milan-advice-train-city-hotel-near-mxp-810779/)

adventureseeker Oct 18th, 2009 05:20 AM

Seeking Milan advice. (Train-city-hotel near MXP)

On Thursday, November 5, we'll (2 adults and 8 yr old son) be on the train to Milan (fr SML/Genoa). We fly out mid morning on the 6th.

We have 2 options:

1) take early train, leave luggage at train station to quickly tour Milan (Duomo, La Scala, etc.) then shuttle to MXP to taxi to Novotel Hotel.

2) take a later train from SML, skip Milan altogether and shuttle to Hotel in early evening.

It seems a shame to forego the city of Milan since we're right there, but??? How close is the train to the Milan sights?

Grazie.....

TDudette Oct 18th, 2009 05:30 AM

I'd hate to miss seeing Milan's Duomo-one can walk on the roof and it's very interesting. Close to the covered shopping and La Scala (nice museum but your 8 y.o. might be bored?)

Other fodorites can give you specifics but there are hotels near the train station (and the airport shuttle there) if you want more Milan time.

How long is the Genoa to Milan train trip?

colduphere Oct 18th, 2009 06:16 AM

We were in a similar situation. We checked into the Hotel Michaelangelo (90 degrees to the left of the station as you look out the front door) and toured Milan for 20 hours minus sleep time.

adventureseeker Oct 18th, 2009 06:22 AM

TDudette: we booked a hotel near MXP (Novotel), but will look into nearby hotels w/ shuttle to airport. Train from Genoa is under 2 hours.

Colduphere....(love your screen name!), do you recall the cost of shuttle/taxi to airport from Hotel Michaelangelo?

Grazie!

colduphere Oct 18th, 2009 06:38 AM

Adventureseeker - I was afraid you would ask. :) I fudged using the words "similar situation" because we were taking the train the next morning, not the plane. So it was easier for us than for you. Sorry about that.

We had three children with us - 10, 14 and 17. As TDudette says, they did love the roof of the Duomo.

TDudette Oct 18th, 2009 07:05 AM

The bus shuttle was 5 euros on 2005. Don't know about children's rates. Your original hotel plan may be best with getting more than 2 people ready to go out the door, eh?

adventureseeker Oct 18th, 2009 07:53 AM

Thank you all.

I'm going to research staying in the heart of Milan and what the cost/logistics of getting to the airport the next day is.

HappyTrvlr Oct 18th, 2009 08:07 AM

Another option would be to stay near the train that goes out Malpensa from Cadorna station.
Look at Antica Locanda Leonardo,a lovely,small hotel with good location. We walked to Duomo one time and took the tram there another time.

Jean Oct 18th, 2009 09:21 AM

I second HappyTrvlr's suggestion. I much prefer the area around Cadorna station (for the shuttle train) over the area around the Centrale station (for the shuttle bus).

adventureseeker Oct 18th, 2009 09:44 AM

How far is Cadorna station to the main sights (Duomo, La Scala, etc.) Is the train to MXP pretty much on schedule? We have to be at MXP no later than 8:30am to catch our flight.

Thx again for all your help!

Jean Oct 18th, 2009 10:07 AM

The train is very reliable and not subject to road traffic delays, and the Cadorna station is closer to the main sights than is Centrale.