Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking Input on these Castle-Area Hotels in Bavaria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-input-on-these-castle-area-hotels-in-bavaria-842334/)

TravelTrio May 29th, 2010 04:22 AM

Seeking Input on these Castle-Area Hotels in Bavaria

Three of us (including 2 teens) will be in Bavaria next month and have received these offers for triple rooms near the castle area. I've read the tripadvisor reviews and am evaluating the pros/cons of each, along with the prices. If anyone has any additional commentary on any of these, I'd appreciate it.

Price/Nt Name
180 Hotel Muller
130 Hotel Alpenstuben
128 Alstadt von Hechten (Fussen)
125 Hotel Filser Kurhotel
113 Gusthof Von Schluxen (Reutte)
110 Alpenhotel Allgau (formerly Meier)
90 Romantik Pension Albrecht

All of these are in Hohenschwangau, except where noted. Normally, we go for the lower-priced accommodations if we do not anticipate spending much time at the hotel. However, we have not traveled to Germany before, and I can't really predict how much time we'll be out and about versus in the room/hotel. We don't care for "nightlife" but do like a nice dinner (more than German food options). At least one bed in the room needs to be comfortable (for me, the teenagers can sleep anywhere, and do!) and we want it to be clean. We will have a car.

Thank you for any additional input you can provide!

ira May 29th, 2010 05:57 AM

Hi TT,

We enjoyed our stay at http://www.hotel-hechten.com/. They have parking.

((I))

pef1234 May 29th, 2010 05:57 AM

In the interest of location and saving time and parking fees you'll not do any better than the Müller. It's as close as you'll get to both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. We have stayed there several times as well as at at least three other hotels in Schwangau and Hohenschwangau. For a small hotel the Müller has a very friendly and helpful staff as well as an excellent restaurant, far nicer and more reasonable than you would expect being right in the midst of one of the busiest tourist sites in Europe. There is limited parking for guests directly alongside the hotel. The Müller is located next door to the kiosk where you purchase tickets for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. Also, the assembly point for the horse drawn carriages that take you up to Neuschwanstein is directly in front of the Müller Hotel. Many of the rooms at the Müller have balconies that look directly up at Neuschwanstein. As busy as the area is during the day it gets very quiet, peaceful and 'romantic' (if you will) during the evening and throughout the night.

Another hotel you may want consider in Hohenschwangau is the Schlosshotel Lisl, Hohenschwangau. It is larger than the Müller and directly across the street. We've stayed there but I don't recall the cost comparison. If this photo comes through the Lisl is at the tip of the yellow arrow. The tip of the arrow points directly at the Müller across the street.

Image of Lisl & Jagerhaus Hotel

Both of these hotels are ideally situated to do everything there is to do there without ever having to move your car, thereby avoiding the steep parking costs and lost time.

jgg May 29th, 2010 06:48 AM

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Hechten in Fussen, and Fussen is also a nice little town to walk through. While we were there (with our two teenagers) there was a Medieval Faire going on, we didn't pay to enter, but did enjoy the parade that went through the town that night.

pja1 May 29th, 2010 06:49 AM

Hi,

We can also recommend the Hotel zum Hechten in Fuessen. We've here stayed twice so far.

Paul

TravelTrio May 30th, 2010 05:16 AM

Went with the Müller. The Hechten has had some poor reviews of late, and the better food (breakfast and dinner) at the Müller put it over the top. Also, since we have a car, we can get into Fuessen if we want. Thanks all for your suggestions!

ruthruthruth May 30th, 2010 05:51 AM

Just wanted to add for future viewers that there is, at least last year there was, a small hotel right on the grounds of Neuschwanstein. (Did I spell that wrong??) I don't remember the name of it, and it's not easy to find online, but we enjoyed it a lot. It was NOT expensive, and while modest, had a large room and was fairly nice. You literally wake up under the castle and can walk up to where the tours start. If you stay there, you're allowed to drive your car up the "walking only road" to get there.