Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking input on May trip to Brussels-Paris-London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-input-on-may-trip-to-brussels-paris-london-215280/)

Barb_in_Ga Jan 28th, 2003 06:14 AM

Seeking input on May trip to Brussels-Paris-London

Yay! I was able to book FF seats for our mid -May trip, but it required being very flexible. So--we are flying into Brussels, arriving on a Weds at 8:30AM, leaving from London 9 days later. This will be my 3rd trip to Paris, and 2nd to London, but I have never been to Brussels. Our tentative plan is to tour Brussels on Weds and Thurs, leaving for Paris on Friday AM, where we will be for 5 nights, leaving for London Weds AM, spending 2 nights.<BR><BR>(Long-winded intro) Here's my list of questions:<BR><BR>1.Transportation--how should we travel from Brussels-Paris and Paris-London(We are very light packers)<BR>2.Accomodations--Paris is handled-I am renting an apartment near Eiffel Tower that I have used before. We don't require luxury, but convenience of transportation to the sights in London and Brussels is important. Private bath is a must. I would prefer to pay in the $150/night range, but will be flexible to grab a great location.<BR><BR>3. Must sees for Brussels? Since we've previously been to Paris and London, we already have a list for those cities.<BR><BR>I know this is very long--thanks in advance to those who are able to assist.

elberko Jan 28th, 2003 06:31 AM

Rail seems the answer for transportation.<BR><BR>I would suggest spending you first morning in Brussels, then heading to Brugge in mid-afternoon and spending 2 nights there before continuing on to Paris and London.<BR><BR>There's nothing wrong with Brussels, just more to enjoy in Brugge.

monique Jan 28th, 2003 06:41 AM

I've been told to go to Brugge ans skip Brussels all together.

Dave Jan 28th, 2003 07:46 AM

While many folks on this site will (and have!) suggested going to Brugge and skipping Brussels altogether.....<BR>I am not one of them.<BR>I spent 2 days in Brussels and 1 1/2 days in Brugge in May 02, and found that I really enjoyed Brussels more.<BR>Certainly, the nature of your interests will impact the decision, but I tend to enjoy more &quot;urban&quot; vacations, and found Brussels interesting, clean, safe, and really quite pretty.<BR>Brugge was nice too, just seemed a bit too &quot;fake&quot; for my tastes.<BR>So, whatever you decide, you should certainly consider seeing for yourself whether Brussels is worth it or not. I should think that at that time of year, you may even be able to keep your hotel &quot;options&quot; somewhat open and do what you like.<BR>The train trip between the two is very very short, and you can easily do both.<BR>Best wishes, And enjoy your trip!!!

Michael Jan 28th, 2003 08:35 AM

If you like Art Nouveau, you must see the Horta museum in Brussels.

Barb_in_Ga Jan 28th, 2003 11:05 AM

Is the train between Brussels and Paris the Eurostar? What is the Thalys? Any idea of price for one way, and how long a ride is it?<BR>Web address?<BR><BR>For Paris-London--Eurostar? How long does it take? Website? TIA<BR>

mclaurie Jan 28th, 2003 01:42 PM

FLY Easy Jet (easyjet.com) from Paris to London. You'll be amazed at prices as low as 10 euros. With the one hour time difference, you arrive in London almost at the time you leave Paris. Can't help on Brussels to Paris but I think someone else may have recently asked this question so try a text search here.<BR><BR>In London I like the Lime Tree Hotel (www.limetreehotel.com) in Belgravia. Others on this site like the Morgan in Bloomsbury (no website-do a text search here for phone & fax) or the Cranley in South Ken. Have a great trip!

Travelnut Jan 29th, 2003 05:56 AM

We stayed at the Atlas Hotel and reserved by their form on their website (http://www.atlas-hotel.be/). Our room was about $115 and fairly larger than most European hotels, with ensuite bathroom, and windows opening to an inner courtyard. It looks more like a business hotel - photos are pretty accurate, except the exterior shot (to me, at least) implies wide open area, and it is actually very city-center. Our room was on the ground floor, past the lobby area, and no street noise could be heard. <BR>We could walk to Grand Place in about 3 blocks, and to Gare Central another 3-4 blocks past G.P. Plenty of dining choices in the area.<BR>Not sure how you reach city from airport, but assume there is a train - if it only stops at Gare Midi, you can take a $5-6 taxi ride to Atlas Hotel; Gare Central for same or less.<BR>The number one must-see is the Grand Place, and you will appreciate it more if you can find some background info that explains the history of the various guildhouses. It is lovely both in daytime and again in evening, when illuminated. A popular sight nearby is the Mannekin Pis, kind of like you can't go to Florida without seeing Mickey. The City Museum houses about 300 costumes for M.P. that have been donated by various heads of state.<BR>There are numerous museum/gallery options, which I am not experienced with as yet. If you pick up a small pocket-size guide book (I think Berlitz prints one) you will be able to identify 1 or 2 to suit your preferences.<BR>The train to Bruges is very easy, from Gare Central, takes about an hour. Exit the Bruges train station, walk across the busy street, veer slightly to the left and follow folks to the medieval center. A canal ride is interesting, otherwise just walking, looking, and cafe stops are nice. The Belfort (tower) offers wonderful rooftop views, if you're up to climbing the narrow 366 steps.

BillOBrien Jan 29th, 2003 06:14 AM

Brugge is very pretty, but boring. A lot more to do and see in Brussels. Stay in the Carfour De Europe just off the Grand Place. Great Hotel in a Great Location.<BR>About 120euro mid week 90 at the weekends. Stayed there twice last year.