Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking info./comments on London addresses (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-info-comments-on-london-addresses-464796/)

WMR Aug 4th, 2004 12:22 PM

Seeking info./comments on London addresses

The following have been offered as choices for serviced apartments for one week in London. Any thoughts regarding location/access to shops restaurants/access to sites (and/or transit to same)appreciated:

Cavendish Square, Marylebone

Earl's Court Square, "Edge of South Ken."

Porchester Square "Lancaster Gate" (but looks like Paddington to me)

Ladbroke Square, Notting Hill

taggie Aug 4th, 2004 02:28 PM

The Marleybone location is close to Oxford Street, New Bond Street etc for shopping, and the Oxford Circus tube stop which has 3 tube lines, although not the ones I use most (Victoria, Bakerloo and Central).

Earl's Court Square looks to be pretty close to the Earl's Court tube stop - 3 lines run through here (ones I use more - Picadilly, Circle and District) so it's convenient. Lots of restaurants around here but I don't like to be that far away from the "centre" of S. Ken.

Porchester Square looks to me more like it's in Bayswater. I don't like Bayswater. Tube stops would probably be Bayswater (hard to tell on my mini A-Z map) which is on the Circle/District line, or Lancaster Gate or Queensway. The last 2 are on the same line (Central).

Ladbroke Square is probably in the "poshest" location... lots of garden squares there, and pretty close to the Notting Hill Gate tube stop, which has 3 lines (Central, Circle and District)

It's hard to advise on suitability because you haven't indicated what sights you are interested in. If it were me I'd proably choose the Ladbroke Square location because I like the Notting Hill area and a flat would allow me to experience that part of London differently than I normally would. I think it also might perhaps be q bit quieter and have more of a neighbourhood feel, but I could be wrong. I might also choose the Marleybone location. However, I have been to London several times and so would probably be going to different things than you would. You'd probably have fairly easy access to shops and restaurants in all the locations, but I don't know what types of places you like to go to.

And I've given you info based on my knowledge which certainly can't hold a candle to those who live there or have been more often that I.

m_kingdom2 Aug 4th, 2004 02:37 PM

Cavendish Square is exceptionally central and virtually Mayfair, it's just north of Oxford Street. Stay here, it's the best address from your list.

Earl's Crt. isn't particularly desirable or central.

Paddington isn't bad, but if you've got W1 take it.

Notting Hill, passé.

SydneySteve Aug 4th, 2004 03:11 PM

Another vote for W1.

janis Aug 4th, 2004 06:46 PM

Of those I'd choose Cavendish Sq. it is the "best" address and more convenient to more places.

Assuming the flats are about the same quality, choose Marylebone. Definitely avoid Earls Court.

lyb Aug 4th, 2004 07:10 PM

Those of you who said No to Earl's Court, can you explain why?

janis Aug 4th, 2004 07:24 PM

Earls court is not dangerous (but then almost no area of Central London is dangerous). But it is not close to any tourist attractions and is an area of mostly low end B&Bs and touris hotel and the Earls Court and Olympia exhibition centers.

The main reason to stay in Earls Court is for cheap accomodations - but you can stay just as cheaply in more central and nicer neighborhoods. Victoria, Russell Square and South Kens. all have inexpensive B&Bs / hotels are better areas.

Because of Earls Court's rep, many places there are starting to say they are "near S. Kens" which is true, but the differences are night and day..

ealing_calling Aug 5th, 2004 01:57 AM

Easy: Ladbroke Square. Quietest location, Holland Park vibe.

Cavendish Sq. is a majorly busy traffic thoroughfare. The other 2 locations are tourist-central.

IMO the combo of Notting Hill Gate + Holland Park is unbeatable. And if you happen to be out after 12.30pm, easy Night Busses to get you home.

caroline_edinburgh Aug 5th, 2004 02:29 AM

Another vote for Ladbroke Square.

SydneySteve Aug 5th, 2004 02:38 AM

I have stayed in Holland Park and have also experienced the life of a week or two in Notting Hill Gate and Earls Court years ago. Earls Court was once the place for Australians in the 1960s-70s. My view is that, if you can get closer to W1 for a reasonable price, then if I were you I would do so. Otherwise I would go north rather than west.

Kate Aug 5th, 2004 02:52 AM

For your first visit, Cavendish Square.

If this is a return visit, I'd go for Notting Hill, lovely neighbourhood, much more "local" London.

WMR Aug 5th, 2004 06:26 AM

Thanks to all for the input. Based on same, I've narrowed it down to Ladbroke and Cavendish. Any final thoughts on that choice?

Thanks again.

mclaurie Aug 5th, 2004 06:44 AM

You've really got your answer already. If this is your first trip to London and you plan to do all the typical tourist sights or if you want to be in the center of things, pick Cavendish Square. If you prefer more of a neighborhood/residential feel and would prefer not to be so central pick Ladbroke Square. The other way to choose is check reviews of the 2 properties if they exist on the web. You could also try checking in the text search here.