Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking help with December Spain itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-help-with-december-spain-itinerary-406564/)

AJMelheim Aug 2nd, 2008 06:01 PM

Seeking help with December Spain itinerary

So much to do, so little time! I want to make the most of our December trip and am seeking YOUR feedback on our "first draft" itinerary. We are a family of four: mom, dad, 20 year old daughter who will be at the end of her fall semester studying in Segovia, and 16 year old son. We travel together often and well. One big challenge is what to do on December 24 and 25. We want to celebrate Christmas in a meaningful, culturally significant way. Have heard that much will be closed on those two days. Both of the kids are big snowboarders, so we're toying with the idea of going to a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada one of those two days. Is that crazy? Is that a good way to spend a day when not much else will be open? Is the Alhambra open on Dec 24 or 25? Thanks so much for any feedback you can give me!

Day 1: arrive Madrid late afternoon, stay Madrid
Day 2: tour Madrid, stay Madrid
Day 3: day trip to Toledo and/or El Esceriol, stay Madrid
Day 4: travel to Segovia, stay Segovia
Day 5: tour Segovia, meet daughter's host family, stay Segovia
Day 6: travel to Granada, stay Granada
Day 7 (Dec 24, Christmas Eve): day in Granada or daytrip to Sierra Nevada for snowboarding, hope to attend Christmas Eve services somewhere
Day 8 (Dec 25, Christmas Day): day in Granada or daytrip to Sierra Nevada for snowboarding
Day 9: travel to Sevilla, stay Sevilla
Day 10: tour Sevilla, stay Sevilla Day 11: travel to Madrid, stay near airport
Day 12: early flight back to the US

ribeirasacra Aug 2nd, 2008 11:43 PM

Noting and I mean nothing is open Christmas day, you must find a hotel with a restaurant that is open to be able to eat.
The lifts in the mountains, the buses, museums will not be working either.

eliza3 Aug 3rd, 2008 01:01 AM

I don´t agree with the ´nothing is open Christmas Day´comment.
At least in Seville, where we spent 2 weeks Christmas /New Year 2006/7 pretty much all restaurants and bars were open Christmas Day - lunch and dinner. We had no trouble at all finding somewhere to eat and drink.

New Years Day was a slightly different story - most of the places were open for lunch but fewer for dinner and all we found were booked up.

In the smaller towns most if not all will be closed of course.

ccrosner Aug 19th, 2008 05:20 PM

Can only comment on Granada and Sevillle....but at first blush would stay try to spend as much of each Seville day in Seville. So be sure to get from Granada to Seville on the morning of the 26th so you have a 1/2 day in Seville and then don't leave for Madrid until mid-afternoon on your final day. Seville is special....wouldn't want to lose any time there if at all possible.

I'll post more details re: our trip that may help. Didn't spend enough time in Granada to give much more detailed help.

Maribel Aug 19th, 2008 05:48 PM

AJMelheim,
The Alhambra is open every day of the year EXCEPT Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.