Reload this Page >

Seeking help from frequent fliers re: USAirways & Alitalia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Nutella

I booked a flight on my USAirways miles from the US thru Milan MXP to Rome. I will be going to Napoli, so I have to take a train from FCO to Termini to Napoli. Alitalia has convenient flights from MXP to Napoli, so I'd like to change that leg of my trip, instead of going to Rome. I called USAirways and they told me that their FF agreement with Alitalia doesnt include Napoli, and that I'd have to make arrangements with Alitalia directly. When I called Alitalia, they wouldn't even talk to me, saying that since my trip was booked on USAir miles, I'd have to call them. I am willing to pay a penalty, a differential, whatever. Is this a lost cause? Maybe I can cancel the MXP to FCO portion and buy my own separate flight to Napoli? Might I have better luck requesting a last minute change once at the airport? Or should I just resign myself to a LONG day of travel? Advice please, grazie!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:03 AM
GAC

The information given to you by US Air is CORRECT. Rome is as far south as the bilateral agreement goes.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Betsy

Nute, USAirways has a Greyhound-type bus that goes from Fiumicino to several locations in Naples. It is mainly for military personnel traveling to the bases around Naples, but it is also available to civilians. Takes about four hours and costs about $30 USD. It is a long day of travel, but very convenient. I used the bus after a flight from Philadelphia to Rome. I'm not sure if it meets other flights or not. Phone USAirways and ask about this if you're interested. It's not highly advertised, so they may be a little vague about it, so keep asking until you reach someone knowledgeable.<BR><BR>Buona fortuna

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Nutella

Sounds better than the train alternative, I'll check it out - thanks!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:25 AM
April

I am booked with US Air to Naples but I am flying to London on US Air and then transferring to British Airways for the London/Gatwick to Naples. It might work that way for you if they would change it at US Air.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Nutella

I'm guessing you're paying. With FF miles, lots of restrictions on where you can go and how you can get there. Believe me, I tried everything! But thanks : )

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Wayne

I'm very surprised about the Alitalia arrangement. I was recently told by USAir that they have no frequent flier arrangements with Alitalia. Guess I'd better call again.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:05 AM
GAC

Wayne: the Alitalia/US Air frequent flier arrangement expires at the end of this year! So, you must use your miles before then if you want to fly Alitalia.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Nutella

Wayne, I believe the agreement is terminating at the end of the year. Don't know when the last day is to make reservations, but good luck!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Nutella

GAC, great minds think alike : )

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Wayne

Thanks all, for answering my question. My inquiry to USAir had been for a trip next year, so now I know the problem. Too bad---I have flown the FF trips several times with Alitalia and always enjoyed them.