Seeking answers about traveling "across the pond"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to London in December with the band and I am rather concerned about the trip as I have never flown internationally before. I am looking for answers from people who travel regularly about jet lag, exchanging dollars into pounds, and what to pack. Keep in mind with your answers the fact that I will be on a tight schedule and will not have much say on when I do what I do.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Use ATM Card - check with your bank to make sure it will work first - for getting pounds from British ATM rather than converting first. You will get better rates.

I think jet lag is overrated personally, but whatever time you land, don't go to bed until it is normal bed time where you are at. Force yourself to sight see or whatever until it is bedtime.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Where are you traveling FROM? The answer to that will help us answer your questions.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Hi
I agree that in flying from North America (is that where you are?) to Europe, jet lag IS overrated. It's mostly a matter of usually not getting any sleep on the plane on an overnight flight, and when you arrive, rather than it still being the middle of the night, it's suddenly morning. I get hit more with jet lag a day or two after I return to the US, it's my body clock adjusting I think.

Anyway, there are guide books and websites geared to young people, such as Rough Guides and Lonely Planet and especially the "Let's Go" series. Timeout.com is also great for London.

If you can say how long you will be there, and what might interest you, it will help in offering suggestions.

If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you will get to a lot of fodors's basic information on London, that may help get you started.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM

You don't say where your are traveling from - so can't tell you if it will be colder or warmer in London than you are used to.

Basically London is cold and wet in December - but normally not frigid. So if you are coming from The SW, west coast or Florida it will feel very cold - if you are coming from New England or Minnesota it will seem very warm.

You want to take clothes that you can layer, and a waterproof raincoat or jacket. Also take gloves, a hat or cap and warm socks. You'll probably also want a warm neck scarf - but you can buy one in London if you decide you need it.

As joe says - use an ATM card to get £. But be sure the ATM card is linked to a CHECKING account since you usually can't take money out of a savings acct.

Jet lag is different for everybody - but since you are flying overnight you will more than likely suffer at least a little bit.

Get as much sleep as you can on the plane and drink as much water and non-alcoholic/non-caffeine beverages as you can. If you are a big pepsi/coke drinker - at least on the flight - avoid them and stick to water, orange juice, club soda, etc.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Pack lightly, drink alot of water, sleep, and think good thoughts.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Don't drink beer on the flight--bloats you all up. Stick to gin and vodka.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi BN,

Pack light. For a week, you should be able to put all of your personal items in a 22" carryon.

As noted, get your money from ATMs in London.

Ask your parents to open an account for you, get you an ATM-only card - not a debit card on that account - and that's your budget.

You have plenty of time to plan.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:03 AM

this London Superthread may also be useful

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34548473