Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeking advice on how to handle finances in Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeking-advice-on-how-to-handle-finances-in-spain-63245/)

kerry Feb 21st, 2000 06:15 AM

Seeking advice on how to handle finances in Spain

I'm wondering what is the best way to handle carrying money in Spain. I'm planning on picking up appx. $300 (American) in pesatas before I go. I understand Visa is accepted throughout Spain, and I have a Visa checkcard through my bank which would function as a credit card there but essentially work like a check for U.S. purposes. Should I still carry some traveler's checks for emergencies or is this unnecessary? I'd just as soon skip standing in line at a bank in Spain if I didn't have to.

JOHN Feb 21st, 2000 08:13 AM

use atm machines. they are everywhere and in english. they work the same as in the states. you can take out as little as you want at the exact exchange rate. I think there is a small fee.

Cheryl Z. Feb 21st, 2000 02:45 PM

<BR>Kerry, bring along more than one kind of credit card too.

Ed Feb 21st, 2000 03:59 PM

Tried and true advice on handling money for a vacation to Europe at www.twenj.com/moneyand.htm <BR> <BR>Not sure I understand why you'd rather stand in line at a bank in the US than in Spain. That preference could cost you as much as 10% due to the poorer exchange rate you'll get a most US banks ... excluding large ones in major financial centers. <BR> <BR>

Nevado Feb 22nd, 2000 01:52 AM

Your checkcard will work for puchases. When using ATM's I found that taking out 25.000 pts works, sometimes I had problems taking out more. Just go to another bank if you have this same problem. There are tons of different banks and some work, some don't- be persistant and don't wait until you absolutely need money. Also, check with your bank on the ATM limit for the day before you go.

BJStine Feb 23rd, 2000 10:52 PM

Just be sure your ATM card is not with locally owned bank. We are from small town and have one from locally owned bank and it was not accepted at ATM machines in Italy and Greece. We had also brought major credit cards, too, which was accepted, so I agree with the posting of bringing more than one credit card/ATM card.

Debbie Mar 18th, 2000 08:52 AM

ATM's are definitely the best as the exchange rate is the best. However, take more than one card. I don't know if this is true in Spain, but in France, if the magnetic strip goes bad, they cannot punch the number into their machine, and there is no way to use the card. I had a bad experience a few years ago in France... had a new credit card that the company stopped charges on when they saw them coming in from France (called and left a message on my home phone asking why charges in France... duh... wasn't there). Also had an ATM card, but the magnetic strip went bad. Had two personal checks, but they did me no good because it was a Saturday and banks wouldn't have anything to do with personal checks on Saturday. I had to call home to get money wired to me in France. From now on, I'm travelling with a charge card, ATM card AND at least $300 in travellers checks, just in case Murphy's law attacks again!!