Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking 2 bdrm Paris apt in Golden Triangle

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking a 2 bedroom apt. in Golden Triangle area of Paris (Champs, Ave George V, Ave. Montaigne) for a 4 night stay in Oct. Have looked at a number of rental agencies and websites from other messages on this site, but have found no apts. in this area.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM

October is among the very busiest of months in Paris, and so booking anything at all will be quite the challenge right now.

The "golden triangle" as you describe it, is not really a residential area, which is probably why you are not finding any apartments.

Note also that many apartments will require a one-week minimum stay.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM

Of the thousand or so apartment listings for Paris I've looked at (no, I'm not exaggerating), I can't recall offhand ever seeing any in that tight area. I wasn't looking for them as I wouldn't want to stay there, so there might be some. I just don't recall ever seeing any.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM

I haven't ever looked in that area, so I'm afraid I can't really help with suggestions. I know of numerous agencies which have been posted on many threads on here, but don't know about that area.

I will agree with what is said above, with even more -- that is an expensive area with lots of plush hotels and designer shops, so probably not lots of apartments (although I imagine there are some). On top of that, people in that area probably are not renting their apartments to tourists that much. Also, october is a very very busy time in Paris, so it would probably be too late to book one, anyway. Furthermore, many apartments will not rent for four nights. Yet another point, two bedroom apartments are not as common for vacation rentals.

In sum, I think you should be devoting your efforts to booking a decent hotel ASAP.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:27 AM
tod

Good 3 star off Champs Eylsees;
Hotel Belmont, 30 rue de Bassano.Metro George V.
Book on-line ar Venere.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

A quick click and glance at iangf's past posts will show that they have stayed at the Bristol and absolutely raved. I would assume they are more 4 star ultimate luxury people, and therefore I'm guessing an apartment would need to be of that quality too.
Is there a reason you're looking for an apartment, iangf instead of returning to the Bristol? Is the exact area more important, or are you assuming that apartments in that area will be of the higher calibre?

What length of time are you looking for -- a week, or less?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who confirmed what I had discovered: no apts. for rent in this area.

As for Patrick's dimissive "A quick click and glance at iangf's past posts will show that they have stayed at the Bristol and absolutely raved. I would assume they are more 4 star ultimate luxury people,"---yes, I have stayed at the Bristol and that has NOTHING to do with this post, though it seems to have been noted as qualifier or judgment rather than as a reply to my post.

As with others on this board, I have stayed in luxury properties for special occasions, and even if that were not the case, it's still my decision.

Now that I know both London and Paris fairly well, I enjoy the convenience of a flat and need little from a concierge in a hotel or other similiar services, which is also the case with others on this board I have noticed.

My post was about LOCATION. I like the Golden Triangle area and on my last trip to Paris found myself there each night, walking up the Champs and enjoying the lights and energy of this famous boulevard.

If you re-read (or just read) my straightforward post, it says nothing about the need to rent Maria Callas' last grande apartment with a car, driver, and 6 uniformed footmen at my disposal.

Again, my thanks to those who offered their INSIGHT rather than telling me something about my past I already knew.

And the Bristol WAS marvelous.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM

Wow, iangf, what was the cause of that outburst? You have TOTALLY misread the intent of my post.

Someone starts recommending mediocre three star hotels to you. You failed to indicate anything in your post regarding the type of place you want. There is nothing wrong with clicking past posts to see if there are clues as to what type of traveler you are. If someone doesn't mention budget, but I see in the past they've stayed at hostels or four star resorts it certainly gives us something to go on. Yes, I found you stayed at the Bristol, so assume that you aren't looking for a low budget hotel. Maybe I assumed wrongly and you are really looking for a plain old cheap place to rest your head and don't care in this case about quality. In that case I was wrong and I apologize, but you gave us no indication of how you like to travel or how much you want to spend. If you think I was somehow being negative in mentioning the Bristol, you are TOTALLY mistaken. Is there some reason you became embarrassed about my bringing that up? There was absolutely nothing in what I said that should have been taken as any thing negative. Just like with any post I was trying to offer help. And I was indicating to others that starting to list hundreds of three star hotels was probably not what you are looking for. If it is, again I'm sorry, but I didn't get that idea from this post or others you have done.

Do you also think my asking how long you are staying had some hidden nasty motive? Or asking if the specific location was the main thing or if it was just because you are looking for a really nice apartment? No, it was because many apartments only offer by the week, and before suggesting places, I thought it might make sense if we knew it HAD to be in that exact area or if nearby might be OK.

Again I apologize. Not for what I did, but apparently because my well meaning response was so TOTALLY misunderstood. I am sorry I tried to be of help, but I strongly suggest that if you are that sensitive, perhaps asking strangers for opinions without providing details is probably not a good idea for you in the future.

I have a wide range of Paris apartments I'm familiar with and I have bookmarked for reference. I was hoping to get a few details and come back with wonderful suggestions for you. I'm sorry you don't want them.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM

You beat me to it Patrick - I really think that iangf got the wrong end of the stick with your post.

JIm
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

And now I'm sitting her fuming for having spent so much time trying to explain myself to someone who obviously doesn't have a clue. Meanwhile that last diatribe seemed to incate that it is LOCATION only she is interested in -- nothing else, yet immediately afterwards she posted a question about a place in the 16th/17th, the very area I was going to suggest if she indicated it was more style she was interested in rather than EXACT location. It would seem that is the case, but she is somehow unwilling to tell us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM

iangf: Wow - what an absolutely uncalled for rant!!!!

Maybe you mis-read between the lines or something. But I totally understood Patrick's post. He was trying to avoid folks suggesting low-ball 2 and 3 star hotels/flats when you have previously stayed at very highend places.

I do it all the time - i.e. someone asks about a special place to stay the first night of someones honeymoon and invariably some fodorite will miss the "special" bit and recommend some two star budget place. I'll try to get the thread back on track.

I think Patrick was trying to help. There was nothing "dismissive" about the post that I could see. Maybe a wee bit of over reaction on your part - huh?????
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Hi IANGF,

Here's a company that rents a few apartments in the Champs/Golden Triangle Area. I haven't personally rented from this company but, I've had several email conversations back and forth and they've been wonderful to deal with! Good luck!

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...t-by-area.html

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM

This might be one. It appears to be in the location desired.

http://www.all-paris-apartments.com/...ductId_539.php
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM

there seems to be at least a few listed on vrbo.com in that area. like this one:

http://www.vrbo.com/59022

it might be short notice to get an apt. however. good luck!