Seeing the White Cliffs of Dover

Feb 23rd, 2018, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Seeing the White Cliffs of Dover

We will be visiting London in July and want to go for a day to see Dover Castle. We plan to take the train to Dover and then a taxi to the castle. Hopefully, we would also like to see a view of the white cliffs without taking a boat ride. From the castle is there a walk to see the cliffs? If so, how long is the walk? I was reading that Langdon Bay has a good view point. Would it be practical to take a taxi from the Castle to Langdon Bay and from there back to the Dover train station? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 04:11 PM

The Cstle is on the cliffs. And below the castle is (or was several years ago) a footpath that went up to the top of the Cliffs - I walked up but with rock slides, etc. may have changed. At that time old WW2 bunkers were open to all (signs said 'bring a torch -flashlight) and I walked around several that were left just as is - again maybe now more developed as tourist attraction? The trek up is of course steep. It began right by the Eastern Docks (Channel Ferries coming and going add to the scene).

Nearby St Maragaret's at the Cliffs is a wonderful place to experience the White Cliffs by walking right under them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+M...w=1280&bih=633

It's not far by road up and over the Cliffs from the Castle area so a taxi would not cost too much. I walked it once from Dover up and over the clifs and back down on other side.

There are wide paths on top of Cliffs and walking to (but not too close) to the edge is exciting! One of most memorable things I've done in decades of British trips.

Here is a description of a new footpath opened in 2017 that starts at Eastern Docks and goes to top of Cliffs and then to Langdon Visitor Centre near cliffs edge and footpath down to St Margaret's at Cliffe:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ure-kent-coast

Seems like there should be some kind of tourists boats running along the base of the cliff - to the ofther side where you can walk again??? Or just to see the cliffs from the sea.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, PalenQ. Is Langdon Bay closest to the Castle? Is there a good view point from there? (Thinking of taking a taxi to the closest point and having it wait for us there for a few minutes). I know, it's not ideal for such a short amount of time to view the cliffs but I'm thinking we will spend most of our day at the castle. Your thoughts?
Feb 23rd, 2018, 05:04 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=lang...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Langdon Bay map - two miles east of Dover. Are you talking about going on top of cliffs or at wate level - you can take a taxi to the N Trust Langdon Bay Center on top of the cliffs and walk to the edge and also down to St Margaret's but - I may be wrong but I think Langdon Bay has no land but is the North Sea spashing into the Cliffs.

So to get to cliff tops without hiking yes take taxi two miles to parking lots at N T Centre and walk to edge (be careful of strong winds!)

I did this all several years ago and many others are more versed in the area than am I.

But folks who say Dover except the castle is dull could not be more wrong IMO - ascending the cliffs and the awesome views from up there and old bunkers, etc. was to me one of again most memorable things I've done. Looking over to France and thinking about British soldiers who were stationed here looking for incoming Luftwaffte was rather eery but that's one thing that came to mind and just seeing the Straits of Dover and all the ferries coming and going... well Dover is much more than the equally awesome castle. Makes for a nice whole day. Bring a picnic and dine with an appetizing view!
Feb 23rd, 2018, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, PalenQ. You are a wealth of information. Yes, we are thinking of just going on top of the cliffs for a viewpoint, mainly because of time.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 06:22 PM

You can see the cliffs right from the Castle grounds. Doing the walk along them is probably awesome, but I wonder how much of them you can see when you are on top of them. The castle was great, including the WWII hospital and bunkers. BTW, it is walking distance from the train station, although it was a bit of a hike and rather boring, but just so you know if you can't get a taxi, it can be walked.

Photos of Dover Castle and white cliffs - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Southeast England: Arundel, Brighton, Dover, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, Hever Castle, Rochester

Feb 23rd, 2018, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Isabel.
Feb 24th, 2018, 05:07 AM

No you cannot see much of the cliffs thhemselves from the top but the views over Channel are stupendous. You can see the cliffs from the Eastern Docks area.
Feb 25th, 2018, 12:35 PM

You may want to check weather before going on any certain day - rain or strong winds could make being on top of cliffs a washout.