Seeing the sites in Barcelona

Oct 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
twp
Original Poster

Seeing the sites in Barcelona

We will be in Barcelona for 3 days in early November and desire to get a good view of the city and its main attractions. We are looking at 3 possibilities for being able to do this.
1. The Barcelona Card
2. Barcelona City Tour Bus
3. Barcelona Bus Touristic
All are similar in price. Please share your experiences with these three options and which you feel would be the best. Thanks in advance for your help
Oct 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Sorry that I can't answer your question directly, but I always use the regular buses or the metro.

When you scan the posts here, you fill find many posts by people who liked the Bus Turistic, though.
In November it might be too cold , though, to enjoy the special feature that the tourist buses have an open top.

A great deal of Barcelona's sights are located in the Old Town (Barri Gotic and el Born) and the "golden square" of the famous Modernisme building roughly where Passeig de Gracia meets Avinguda Diagonal.

The only "Top 10" sights that are not really walkable from the center (using Pl. Catalunya as the "center" here) are
The Sagrada Familia (but has 2 metro lines serving it),
Parc Güell,
and the sights on Montjuic, e.g. the Miro museum.
But regular buses serve also those.
Oct 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM

You can simply buy a 10-ride Metro card, I think for about 11 euros. The system is efficient and for a short stay this is the most affordable option. You can share the card if you want, passing it back over the turnstile. And if you need more rides, just buy another one.
Oct 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
twp
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I've been feeling a little gun shy after reading all the recent posts about pickpockets on and around the metro.
Oct 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM

We got tickets for the on-off bus, which that is of the options above. The disadvantage of the on-off bus is that it goes in a circle, so if you get on at, say, Stop 10 and want to go an attraction at Stop Eight, you have a lot of stops, a lot of stops, before you get there.

The advantage is that you see a lot more of the city than you would in the metro. Next time, I would get regular tickets and take regular buses.
Oct 17th, 2010, 06:48 AM

You don't have to ride the metro if you don't like to.
The buses will take you to any destination as well, they just need a bit longer.

In some cases, the regular buses are even more convenient.
For example, Parc Güell is one of those few sights that are not in the central districts.
Today, I took the #24 city bus from the city center. This bus also calls at the central square Pl.Catalunya, and drops you off right at the Eastern entrance to the park. While the Bus Turistic stops further away and you have to climb a pretty steep street to get to the main gate of the park.
Going back with the same #24 bus, I saw a huge line of people waiting at the special bus stop for the tourist bus. I wondered if all would fit into one bus or had to wait for the next one.