Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seeing the Eiffel [email protected] = dangerous? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seeing-the-eiffel-tower-night-dangerous-197669/)

Kimberly Apr 11th, 2002 12:41 PM

Seeing the Eiffel [email protected] = dangerous?

I've heard the Eiffel Tower at night is beautiful, but I've also hear that walking around Paris at night is not such a good idea. Would it be too dangerous?

elena Apr 11th, 2002 12:48 PM

I imagine that there are parts of Paris that are not a good idea at night - others can fill you in on that. We usually stay a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower and have never experienced or witnessed anything dangerous. Paris is a major city and you do have to pay attention to where you are and use city smarts - IMO.

elaine Apr 11th, 2002 12:50 PM

You will see fellow tourists at the Eiffel Tower at night.<BR>No place in the world is 100% safe, but Paris is statistically very safe, even with recent upsurges in some crimes, including pickpocketing. Just use good sense and stick to well-lighted areas and main streets, as in any large city.

Joe Apr 11th, 2002 01:59 PM

Kimberly: My wife and I have wandered all over Paris at night. Never had a problem. At the more popular places like the Tower Eiffel, there are so many people it would be hard to imagine any problem beyond the opportunistic pick-pockets. After coming down from the Tower one evening, we sprawled on the lawn with countless other people. Managed to fall off for a few minutes as did my wife. No problem. Now, I wouldn't wander down dark, narrow alleys at night, but, I wouldn't do that in any city. By the way, the view from the Tower at night, if anything, is even more glorius than that during the day.

mh Apr 12th, 2002 01:50 AM

Who keeps perpetuating these myths? most of europe has very little violent crime. I live in Germany and feel much safer here than I ever did in the states. Go to Paris, have fun, eat drink and be merry but watch out for pick pockets..

a Apr 12th, 2002 05:31 AM

My husband and I took our children there in the evening. We felt safe. It is very lit up( on the grounds,etc..)<BR>It is very beautiful sight. I did not think it was too dangerous at all.<BR>You must always be careful obviously.<BR>Also a boat ride down the Seine at night is a wonderful way to see the city lit up. <BR>Have fun, and do experience Paris at night. It is so exciting!

Christina Apr 12th, 2002 11:53 AM

I would not worry about being in any well-lit busy area of Paris at night, and the Eiffel Tower sure is that. However, there certainly is crime in Paris--that is not a myth--and walking around in some areas late at night is probably not a good idea, but that area immed. around the tower isn't one of them, although I'd be cautious in and around some of the metro stops around there. There have been several articles in the international press recently (not just American newspapers) on the increase in crime rates in Paris, as well as Spain and England. It's just not a good idea to wander around any big city in the world late at night IMO in dark and unpopulated areas, espec. if you're alone and even more a female, I'd say, but any city has some areas that are more dangerous than others. I think many people exaggerate the danger of Paris or other European foreign cities, but then there is the opposite problem of people who think it's like Disneyland and nothing can happen, and do unsafe and risky things.<BR><BR>Perhaps Chirac and Jospin have something to do with these myths of crime and who is spreading them, as both seem to be talking about them an awful lot during campaigning for the Presidential race, it's one of the main focal points of both their campaignsk the rising crime rate, being tough on crime, what they are going to do about it, etc. Most of that is street crime, various kinds of theft (not just pickpocketing, however) and while I wouldn't call that "violent" (some a little if it involves assault), I would presume risk of theft is something Kimberly might consider dangerous.<BR><BR>So, I would certainly walk around Paris in busy and lit areas, and see the Eiffel Tower, but I don't think the opposite myth that Europe is crime-free is good, either.

Fran Apr 12th, 2002 12:00 PM

90 percent of the crime is from people from Africa and eastern Europe. As their population increases in Paris, the crime goes up.

Marilyn Apr 12th, 2002 12:11 PM

We were in Paris last year and walked the streets around the tower at night and did not experience any problem. However, I understand around Sacre Coure (sp??) there have been problems. Marilyn

parisIS Apr 12th, 2002 03:48 PM

Every time we have been in Paris,for years now-we walk everywhere at night, sometimes until pretty late.It has always been safe.

dfc Apr 12th, 2002 04:19 PM

Christina, I am going to Paris next week and I'd really like to go to the Eiffel Tower at night. But since I'll be going by Metro, can you tell me which of the near-by Metro Stops I should avoid? Or perhaps, which one I should use? (Safe to walk there from the Eiffel Tower as well as safe to use.)

[email protected] Apr 12th, 2002 05:11 PM

The closest metro is probably Bir Hakim, if memory serves me correctly, but I always prefer the Trocadero Metro at night. You get much more dramatic views, cross the Seine, and get a better sense of the street life (musicians, roller bladers). It's still just about a ten minute walk. I've never seen any crime or felt unsafe, but as many here have said, keep your eyes open for pickpocketers.<BR>

Kimberly Apr 16th, 2002 08:30 AM

Is it a bad idea to take the metro late at night or should I take a taxi?

amy Apr 16th, 2002 09:35 AM

I'd recommend a taxi to the Eiffel Tower at night. I still take the metro during the day and early evening, despite having been pickpocketed. I am a lot more careful now but personally would not chance it if it's really after dark. If you take the metro there, you can always take a taxi back to your hotel as there is a taxi rank just in front of the tower.