I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL ☎Email Password Reset Contact ☎1:866:201:6261 AOL Tec*h care By BABA☎!
- 2 Netherlands, Brussels and possibly Luxembourg
- 3 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 4 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 5 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 6 2 week May trip with kids
- 7 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 8 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 9 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 10 Sleep at Heathrow
- 11 Rail vs. Plane
- 12 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 13 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 14 Paris November 2017
- 15 Self Drive UK tour
- 16 Where to See Flamenco
- 17 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 18 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 19 Two week Europe itenirary help
- 20 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 21 Airport Transfer
- 22 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 23 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 24 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 25 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.