Seeing London NOT on Foot

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Julie

Seeing London NOT on Foot

I am planning a trip to London next spring and will have with me a mother-in-law who can only walk limited distances. Is it still possible to see popular tourist sites without walking very much?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Meg

The Open-top tour buses will take you to all the most popular (well-known) tourist sights. A day ticket allows you to hop on and off whenever, wherever you want

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:47 AM
elaine

Julie
Some Tube stations have escalators and/or elevators which may help you get around with using the Tube, but I cannot tell you which stations will let you avoid stairs.
People with disabilities can obtain 2 free booklets detailing which parts of London's public transport system they can use by emailing [email protected] supplying their name and address. The booklets will be sent anywhere, worldwide.

Here are some websites
www.accessunlimited.com/links.html many links to traveling with disabilities

www.undiscoveredbritain.com A travel agency that plans trips for the disabled traveler, slow walkers, or others who wish to travel independently with a little help. They also offer a few group tours each year. Undiscovered Britain,
11978 Audubon Place, Philadelphia PA 19116. email [email protected]

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Lynn

Julie,

The Open Top Tour Buses are a great way to see London. You can hop off or stay on the bus if you wish. The ticket is good for a full 24 hrs. There are several different lines that pass all the major attractions in London. We visited London in March and spent a day on the Hop On Hop Off and it was great. Have a nice trip.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Lori

I've got some foot problems that limit my ability to walk long distances at times so I can understand your situation. I'd recommend using the buses as much as possible instead of the tube. You do go slower, but there are no long flights of stairs, escalators, etc. to manage (plus you can see sights along the way). The same passes that are good for the tube are good for the buses. I'd also recommend a trip down the Thames, the sightseeing boats are a good way to see things and you get to sit as well, I'd go down to Greenwich via boat. I'd also suggest while visiting museums, etc. to take advantage of benches in the exhibits and sit down awhile. Also pop into the cafe's in the museums for a snack, soft drink, tea whatever to rest up.

There is walking at most of the sights, I will not kid you, but if you pace yourself it can be done. For instance, at St. Paul's there are plenty of places to sit and rest downstairs by the cafe and gift shop. London's parks are marvelous, we go each spring and the flowers are all blooming. It's nice to sit in the parks for a bit and enjoy the sights (and flowers). There is also a canal boat ride from Camden Lock to Little Venice (also vice versa) that's enjoyable on a nice day.

I'd also recommend taking in a few shows if you can, not only are they usually very good but you can sit for a couple of hours!

Taxi's are not terribly expensive and if she feels extra tired I'd use them, they are a wonderful part of London.

The London Eye capsule's have seats inside so you can sit while doing that too.

I think you can do London with limited walking, but it does take some planning in advance.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Ben Haines

I agree with the good advice you have had so far. I can add that at a newspaper shop in the arrival concourse of the airport you can buy the listings magazine "Time Out", and under music, classical can look for one-hour lunchtime concerts. These let you sit in beautiful churches, hear good music, and rest.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Leslie

Julie - I've just topped a thread titled "Taxi Tours of London" for you.

I love the double decker bus tours but if this is too strenous, the taxi tours sound fun.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
janis

Can't really improve on the advice posted so far - except to stress that you should avoid the tube. Buses and taxis can get you anyhwhere the tube can without the hassle.

I take the tube just about everywhere - but I don't have mobility issues (yet). There are VERY FEW tube stations that don't require a LOT of walking, climbing and crowds. Even with the escalators and lifts, you still end up with long walks and steep climbs in many stations. In some stations the transfer between lines can be equal to 2 or 3 or more blocks of surface walking.

My mom and Dad took the tube for years but now being 78 and 80 they can no longer cope and take taxis everwhere.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
bettyk

Here are the websites for several different taxi tours of London: http://www.blacktaxitours.co.uk/info.html
http://www.londontaxitour.com/
http://www.cabguide.com/