Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Seeing highland cattle around Dornach or Shin falls area?

Seeing highland cattle around Dornach or Shin falls area?

May 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Seeing highland cattle around Dornach or Shin falls area?

I will be in this area for a day trip this summer out of Inverness. Is there any chance of seeing highland cattle in this area? I would love to see one! Thanks
May 18th, 2018, 05:35 AM

I don't recall seeing any the last time I was in the area, but I confess I wasn't looking for them, and it's a very big area. I did a short search and came across a web link for a feeding lot and (presumably) a production facility near Lairg, but the link was 10 years old and there wasn't any other information. I fear you're into a "catch as catch can" situation.

When are you visiting? A surefire way to see Highland coos (and lots of other very cool things and experiences) is to visit the Royal Highland Show just outside Edinburgh (near the airport) which is basically a giant fair featuring all kinds of exhibits, competitions etc. If you're in the area in late June, I'd rank this as a "don't-miss" experience. https://www.royalhighlandshow.org/

I'd also strongly urge you to find a way to include Croick Church in any tour of the Dornoch Firth area. This is a very moving, lovely, and quite heartbreaking location, scene of one of the most tragic occurrences during the Highland Clearances. It's at the end of the beautiful Strathcarron, which you reach from Ardgay, south of Bonar Bridge, so more or less on your way to the Falls of Shin. https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co....rch/index.html
May 18th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Barring the Highland Show . . . You'll just have to keep an eye open while you are driving around. They are actual farm animals - not just curiosities. So you may see some in fields - or not, depending on exactly where you are.

What is the rest of your itinerary like - Aren't you visiting other areas besides Dornoch/Inverness?
May 18th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I grew up on a farm so I realize their purpose as a farm animal. Just think they would be interesting to see.
May 18th, 2018, 08:55 AM

I wasn't knocking you -- merely saying they are scattered around on farms. Not concentrated in any particular areas. No real rhyme nor reason.
But - if you tell us where else you are going - there are some sites that have Hairy Coos on-site just because visitors like to see them. Glamis castle for instance always has a herd in grounds. I've seen them every time (scores of times) I've driven the road between Callander and Aberfoyle and the nearby Killmahog Woolen mill outside Callander. When driving through the Cairngorms/Aviemore. Several places along and off the A82 between Crianlarich and Glencoe and in Glen Lyon.
May 18th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. We do have a little flexibility with our planning.
May 18th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Last spring we were staying in a b & b in Belmacarra near the b ridge to Skye. We drove to Plockton (sweet village) on the usual single track road and were thrilled to see Highland Cattle in a field. However when we drove back, we weren't quite so thrilled to see the cattle had escaped the field and were on the road - quite intimidating to see those horns almost grazing the car windows as we crept past!

Search this Thread