Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Security -- day pack at museums + (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/security-day-pack-at-museums-1282738/)

dedlaw Apr 23rd, 2017 08:28 PM

Security -- day pack at museums +

I've seen that some places in Paris (for example, Muses d'Orsay) say you cannot check a day pack,. I have no issue with this policy. But I'd like to know how universal it is, both in Paris and in Colmar and Alsace in general. Do some places follow this rule and others not? Thanks.

WoinParis Apr 23rd, 2017 11:06 PM

It is more and more so. Last museums i went too I had to give my backpack at the cloakroom.

FuryFluffy Apr 23rd, 2017 11:22 PM

It is very common in France now to not accept large day packs in museums, checked or carry on. There can be a rare one who doesn't follow this rule but it's better to not expect to find one. For several reasons:

- Museums don't have enough place for day pack anymore
- Mostly, with the security measure at the moment in France, it's easier for them to just don't take in large packs.

bilboburgler Apr 24th, 2017 01:07 AM

large, unlikely
small, very likely

PatrickLondon Apr 24th, 2017 02:45 AM

I suspect things are getting tighter everywhere, but it isn't so many years since the attendant at the Musée Jean Moulin took my day-bag to store, and when I asked for it as I left, she said with an absolutely straight face "Oh that - I've sold it". Well, it isn't a very busy museum, so I suppose she had to keep amused somehow.....

Christina Apr 24th, 2017 09:42 AM

I believe the OP asked how common it was not NOT check daypacks, in other words, to not even allow them in the building.

I don't think it's that common, although it's certainly common not to allow larger piece of luggage or duffel bags, or big backpacks. But most museums do not bar smaller totebags or daypacks. I think the Orsay is unusual in that regard, in not even allowing them in the museum. Of course, they don't use that word on their website (day pack), but it sounds like it would be included in their ban on "sacs de voyage", which includes duffel bags and larger totebags.

All other French museums that follow the Vigipirate direction ban backpacks and luggage, but I haven't ever seen another one that bans totebags even from coming into the museum and being checked at the cloakroom. I'm not sure how rigorous that is, maybe it's changed as they do have cloakrooms and I have checked a totebag there last summer (a small one, just a little bigger than some purses, not quite as big as a daypack), they just want to make sure it doesn't have valuables in it, they won't check that. It could mean just they won't accept "large tote bags" that are as big as luggage, that's the way other museums word it. eg, the Cluny
<<RECEPTION
Large items of luggage (suitcases, large travel bags, etc.) cannot be accepted in the cloak room.>>

These are the general rules in Strasbourg museums:
<<En application du plan Vigipirate, les contrôles sont renforcés dans les Musées de la Ville de Strasbourg conformément aux directives nationales.

L’accès aux musées se fera après contrôle des petits bagages. Les valises et sacs de grande contenance sont interdits.>>

That means the cloakroom is closed and they don't allow large baggage, but they do allow small bags after they are checked by security. That's the way they do it in Washington DC museums, small bags are checked by security before entry, and some have scanners.

dedlaw Apr 24th, 2017 08:37 PM

Thanks all. Sounds like I can take a small day pack, without much in it, and they may sign but they'll accept it. I can remove the camera before I do this.