COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Securing money/belongings in Seville and Granada?

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I have a question. My 10yo daughter and I will be traveling to Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Madrid in April. Since I have to pay for most of our lodging in cash, I am wondering what your suggestions are to keep our money safe?

I will definitely be wearing a money belt, and will probably carry a secure cross-body handbag, but if I can avoid it, I would rather not carry ALL our cash, passports, tickets, for a 2 week trip with us everywhere.

Our accomodations in Madrid and Cordoba offer security for valuables. However, in Seville we will be staying in a small private apartment, and in Granada, in a pension. Neither offer a place for us to store valuables.

Could I rent a locker at the train or bus station to store our extra cash, passports, etc?
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:19 AM

Re the passports: every now and then you may, I say "may" be asked (if you use a credit card for a purchase..probably a major one) to show some form of recognizable ID and that would be the passport so i would not be storing that anywhere it isn't readily available.

There have been discussions here FOR YEARS about whether or not you should 'walk around" with your passport, or with a copy of the data page, or leave it in a hotel safe, etc., etc.

And as to all that cash...have you decided NOT to use local ATMs to get local currency for some reason?
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I suppose I can use ATMs. Probably the best idea...

I will probably just carry our passports.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:37 AM

Hang around a bit..am CERTAIN there will be a bunch of responses
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:45 AM

I also couldn't understand why you wouldn't just get cash out of ATMs as you go along. Are you likely to need more than you can withdraw ? E.g. I've never had a problem withdrawing up to c.€350 per day - so unless you are likely to need more than that at one go (e.g. if immediately paying for a week in an aprtment on arrival), no problem. If you are staying in hotels for a few nights at a time, you'll be able to store up cash for the bill during each stay. If you are accumulating any cash like that, I'd keep it in the hotel safe.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Caroline. Yes, I can definitely minimize the time I am carrying large amounts of cash.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM

During recent trips to Spain, I have been asked to provide photo ID each time I use a credit card for purchases, not including hotels and restaurants, so keep that in mind..
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

gotcha!