Great show repeated last night on PBS' Secrets of Underground London - things burrowed into the depths of the earth - shown are the Brunels long efforts to make a foot tunnel under the Thames - a 20 year project or so - the first day it was open thousands waltzed thru - later it was turned into an Underground (Tube) tunnel still in existence.
Other places covered:
The London Silver Vaults - the 'world's largest repository of silver originally and now a silver shopping mall with numerous small dealers burrowed far below the surface. (Chancery Lane area)
The British Museum - its addition is going on way underground so visitors to the museum today do not even realize it - new exhibit spaces and other uses.
The British Library - every book you ever wanted to lay your hands on (not 'read' in today's world) - floors and floors of stacks reaching practically to China!
The Churchill War Rooms - During WW 2 to prevent the government from not being able to safely meet during the Blitz a series of rooms again hewn out far below ground - actually only two cabinet meetings were held here the show said and after the war it was allowed to crumble - footage from the 60s I think has it looking like something like an old abandoned Detroit factory or train station. Now rebahhed it is one of London's top tourist sights. Ironically in what was the deepest safest part of the really safe complex the British Museum stashed their most famous pieces - inclding disassembling whole altars and hiding them safer here!
Anyway forlks looking for something the eye may not see from above may enjoy catching up on these and other Mysteries of Underground London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 EPSON printer 1:800:681:7208 contact installations epson Tec*h care vk
- 2 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 3 Milan airport--which one
- 4 Which Area in London?
- 5 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 6 Paris Apartment
- 7 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 8 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 9 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 FuLu Mandarijn Amsterdam
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Visit to France
- 15 First time in Spain
- 16 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 17 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 18 Trains - website?
- 19 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 20 GTG Paris December 2017
- 21 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 22 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 23 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 24 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 25 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed