Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Second thoughts about the Le Regent - Help us save our marriage!

Jun 8th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Robert

We are trying to avoid starting divorce proceedings while in Paris celebrating 32 terrific years of marriage - don't want it to end over this! Please help.

After researching Paris hotels on this site, in guidebooks, etc. we reserved a deluxe room at the Le Regent in Paris for our trip in a few weeks. Now, after reading some recent posts which indicated some negative aspects about the hotel, we are having second thoughts (hotel, marriage!) and many disagreements about staying here.

The more we read, the more we wonder if there is a better hotel in the 6th than the Le Regent, maybe 4*, for around the same price - we are paying 183 Euro, city tax included, no breakfast.

Can anyone make a few suggestions for very nice 3* or 4* hotels in the 6 th? We don't mind paying a little more to get a great hotel with nice appointments, larger rooms, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 8th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Jen

Yikes, that is so sad -- a marriage that could fall apart over choosing a hotel.

First, you should make sure that the references to "Le Regent" are indeed about the hotel you are considering. There is also a hostel called "Le Regent" on Boulevard Rochechouart.

The rooms at Hotel Le Regent are small (of course!) but the place has recently been renovated.

Here are some more reviews for you to consider: http://www.travel-in-portugal.com/sc...fo.php?num=378

Jun 8th, 2002, 04:39 AM
amy

Hi Robert:

I can't answer a good part of your question (whether there's a 4* at the same price) in that location, but I can tell you that we have always enjoyed our stays at the Le Regent.

The size of the deluxe room is very good for Paris, and of course the Regent location is superb--your metro and walking options are endless.

We've stayed at four other hotels in Paris, and overall think this one is the most to our liking. We are choosing a different arrondissment this time for our Paris visit, otherwise we'd just go back there.

Jun 8th, 2002, 04:39 AM
joy

"Now, after reading some recent posts which indicated some negative aspects about the hotel..."

Are you searching for a "perfect" hotel? I wish I could help you but IMO each hotel (3*, 4* 5* probably) will have something negative about it (what about street construction or noisy stree, which is out of the hotel's control?).We are also staying at Le Regent in rue Dauphine in a couple of weeks in their "delux room" and until we experience the hotel ourselves and see it personally we are staying put with our reservations. Don't second guess your decision.

Jun 8th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Richard

We stayed there and enjoyed it very much. Check it out for yourself in the hotel section of www.anamericaninparis.com

Jun 8th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Sherry

Hi Robert. We stayed at Le Regent on Rue Dauphine last year and really liked it. We were not in a deluxe room. Now that room was really small. But other then the size, it was well appointed, clean, comfortable.
The hotel staff is very nice. The area is great.
I really do not think you should be afraid to stay here.
The deluxe rooms are quite large. We skipped the breakfasts. There are just so many cafes in the area.
Good luck.

Jun 8th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Dave

I have posted many times on this particular hotel, principally because it's my personal favorite in Paris. I've stayed at no less than 6 other places in the 5th and 6th (that I can remember!) and this one is the best I've found for the money because:
1. Location, Location, Location;
2. Staff has always been very helpful and friendly (I try and speak as much of my French as possible, but I'm by no means fluent - you needn't worry)
3. Value for $$$. By this I mean that you can other hotels with bigger rooms, nicer lobbies, etc, etc. But I can't imagine that you're really going to want to spend that much time in the hotel proper. Instead: go to a sidewalk cafe for both coffee and people watching, read a book in chairs of a park, and so on.
4. The rooms have always been clean, and if you have a problem of some sort just mention it to the desk staff;
5. Alsp, I may be one of the few to have stayed here over 20 years ago when it was barely a 2* hotel......the renovation just adds to the benefits;
6. and finally,,,,,Location, Location, Location!!!

Have a great trip and keep your plans for Le Regent @ 61 Rue Dauphine!! Best Wishes!

Jun 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Robert

Thank you for all the replies about the Le Regent. This helps a lot. Any one else have anything to say about this hotel or another one in the 6 th?

I guess we are just having those pre-trip jitters - thinking about all the plans - flight, car rental (for Italy), SML hotel, etc. and asking ourselves if we made the right hotel choice while we are in Paris for several days at the end of our trip.

We know that after 32 great years together, we made the right spouse choice so I guess, wherever we are in Paris, it will be wonderful as long as we are together!

Jun 8th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Patrick

I'm not sure what negative comments you are referring to. I follow this forum pretty closely and about the only negative comments about Le Regent I recall recently had to do with the extremely small room. But it was a standard, which has no relation to the superior you've reserved. Even the person talking about the small room, said the good points of the hotel outweighed the bad and they would return.
There is no such thing as a perfect hotel. I've stayed at Le Regent twice and still maintain that it is a wonderful hotel for the price -- but I would only opt for one of the superior rooms for both size and decor.
My real favorite in the area would be a return to Relais St. Germain, huge and beautfully decorated rooms -- but it is nearly 300 Euro last time I checked. If you want to assure yourself being happy with the room and willing to spend that much, then I say go for it, but frankly I think Le Regent is a better value overall.

Jun 8th, 2002, 10:24 AM
elaine

Just a few doors away from Le Regent is the d'Aubusson. I can personally vouch for their deluxe room which was generously sized, beautifully decorated, great bathroom, all hotel services provided
including bathrobes and the museum pass sold in the lobby, and great breakfast
(tho pricey). Same great location obviously.
I have nothing against le Regent since I haven't stayed, there, just wanted to offer an alternative if you are having second thoughts

Jun 8th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Rich

For a while after we were married, our individual careers had us living on different continents for while. We decided on Paris for the first of many "conjugal visits". I had the company Travel Dept booked a hotel in the 7th, on Rue Amelie, where I had lived for a while in the 70's. Had no idea what to expect and it was a good thing!

We got to the room after midnight to find the smallest, least attractive room I have ever seen. . . and I have lived and traveled internationally for 35 years! In order for one of us to go to the bathroom, the other had to stand on the bed! . . Had to store the luggage on top of the dresser . The drawers in the chest could not open more than 6 inches because they hit the bed. The closet would hold three shirts and a tie at most. The room was on the first floor (second for yanks) and directly over the entrance, across from a Thai restaurant . . noisy was an understatement.

It was too late to move, so we stayed, deciding we would move the next day. . . We got up early and walked to a Tabac for Breakfast, then down to the Tower for a lookabout. We ended up spending the day walking around an enjoying Paris (in September) so much that we got back too late to change rooms, decided we would tough it out one more nite. This went on for the whole week and in the end, we stayed the whole week. To this day we have wonderful stories to tell about being together in Paris, and having the worst room in the city.

I guess my point is that you will enjoy the visit and time together so much that it would not matter if you stayed in a cardboard box in an entrance to a Metro. And if you did, you would have stories to tell too!

Enjoy Paris . . wrs.

Jun 8th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Rich

For a while after we were married, our individual careers had us living on different continents for while. We decided on Paris for the first of many "conjugal visits". I had the company Travel Dept booked a hotel in the 7th, on Rue Amelie, where I had lived for a while in the 70's. Had no idea what to expect and it was a good thing!

We got to the room after midnight to find the smallest, least attractive room I have ever seen. . . and I have lived and traveled internationally for 35 years! In order for one of us to go to the bathroom, the other had to stand on the bed! . . Had to store the luggage on top of the dresser . The drawers in the chest could not open more than 6 inches because they hit the bed. The closet would hold three shirts and a tie at most. The room was on the first floor (second for yanks) and directly over the entrance, across from a Thai restaurant . . noisy was an understatement.

It was too late to move, so we stayed, deciding we would move the next day. . . We got up early and walked to a Tabac for Breakfast, then down to the Tower for a lookabout. We ended up spending the day walking around an enjoying Paris (in September) so much that we got back too late to change rooms, decided we would tough it out one more nite. This went on for the whole week and in the end, we stayed the whole week. To this day we have wonderful stories to tell about being together in Paris, and having the worst room in the city.

I guess my point is that you will enjoy the visit and time together so much that it would not matter if you stayed in a cardboard box in an entrance to a Metro. And if you did, you would have stories to tell too!

Enjoy Paris . . wrs.

Jun 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Rich

sorry for the double post . . must have stuttered when I hit the enter?

wrs

Jun 8th, 2002, 01:24 PM
amy

Robert: Most of us who are planners (and if you're not, you're visiting the wrong site) end up second-guessing our choices. So we know what you're going through.

I looked at what I wrote you earlier and what the others wrote you, and this is what it boils down to:

Is the Le Regent like an American hotel?
No
Is it representative of a very good 3* Paris hotel?
Absolutely
Is it a good value?
Absolutely, especially when one considers both walking and metro location
Is there are reason we all return there?
Yes, because we like location, the rooms, and especially the staff. It's rather predictable.
Does it have a glamourous lobby, other facilities?
Nope. Doesn't matter. Paris is right outside the front door.
What about the posters that talked about the small rooms?
When I booked the first time, I needed two rooms. The manager said, "All I have left are a few of the smaller rooms. They are priced correctly, but you may be fearful. I assure you they are nice, but madame, they are very, very small." I booked. The rooms to this day are the smallest in which we have ever stayed, we had a riot trying to photograph them from every angle (because they were decorated so cutely),but they were still a good value. We promised to return and get a superior room. And that eventual room was a nice size for Paris for the price.

In other words, we have never felt deceived at the Le Regent. They were clear, honest, and charming. Please, though, don't expect an American experience, or it's not going to work.

And by the way, according to Polly Platt (the high priestess of American to French culture translation), in France it is considered Ok/polite to ask for another room in any hotel, not just le Regent.

Jun 8th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Mari

Thank you , Rich, for your from the heart comments. I am Robert's wife and we both have been reading all the comments that have been posted. My husband has traveled to Paris many, many times on business, but this will be my second visit - first time was about 15 years ago. He really wants it to be special for us. You are so right... it's all in what you make of it. We are looking forward to our trip and visit to Paris.

Many thanks to everyone here and especially to those of you who have responded to my husband's concerns - you were so helpful on last year's trip to Italy and again for this one as well.

Thank you.

Jun 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
lisa

Just returned from 8 days at Le Regent. Fantastic location, very good staff, would definitely stay there again. Our standard room was indeed very small but nice. I would definitely suggest that if you don't like the first room you're given, ask if any others are available. We did and were allowed to choose between the two, and ended up with one we liked much better than the first. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. By the way, the front desk will be more than happy to make restaurant reservations for you and did so for us virtually every day. They will also provide you with ice, corkscrew, iron & ironing board, and robes upon request.

Jun 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Mari

Thanks, Lisa, for the information. I enjoyed reading about your trip. I printed out the list or restaurants today so we can take it with us.

We have decided to stay at the Le Regent - location seems perfect. We are looking forward to our trip to the French and Italian Riviera and our long weekend in Paris before we return home.

Jun 10th, 2002, 08:55 PM
jjojjo

All of you Fodor people stay in the 6th in Paris. I guess you go to see each other. NO 6th for me-listening to all of you on this board is enough for me.

Jun 11th, 2002, 01:39 AM
xxx

So, jjo, you won't be staying in the 6 th??? We'll notice you not there - one less bad attitude to encounter. We'll all really miss you! Try to enjoy yourself wherever you go in Paris.

Jun 11th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Susan

I just returned from a trip to Paris with my husband and two daughters and we stayed at the Le Regent. My husband and I in a Superior room and the two girls in a standard.
I considered the Superior room to be very nice and I am very picky. The bath was well equip with large tub shower, towel warmer and lighted makeup mirror and was quite large. The bedroom was decorated very nicely and was bright (two large window/doors opening up to the street). There was a gentlemen's slacks presser/coat rack and a nice armoire for hanging clothes and tv. The room had a mini bar and in room safe and the bed, which seemed a bit larger than a queen, but not a king, was made up with crisp clean linens European style (Two top sheets, one above and one below the blanket) I like this, but it's one of my pet peaves. There was a small round table and two small painted french chairs between the two windows and night stands on each side of the bed (no clock in the room). I will say I have never stayed anywhere else in Paris, but in a room that was probably not over 10' x 10' they managed to provide alot of comforts. By the way we were in room 321 I believe.
Things I did not like-
The spiral staircase is very tight and on the inside the steps were not deep enough for your foot. My daughters stayed in a standard room on the fifth floor and they each slip and slid down the stairs more than once as did I.
They have an elevator, but you have to carry your luggage up to the 2nd floor to use it and it is very slow, so slow that we were never patient enough to wait on it for ourselves, we only used it for our luggage.
The help at the front desk did speak English although I did not find them overly friendly or willing to go out of their way to make us feel welcome. We arrived around 1:00 and were instructed to leave our luggage in the lobby because our room was not ready. When we returned 3 hours later our luggage was still being step around in the lobby. Somehow I expected it to be taken to our room but maybe I expected too much.
We were also instructed by signs on the front desk to let them know if you will be needing a cab to the airport or train station 24 hours ahead of time, which we did. But when it came time for our cab to arrive, the girl behind the desk, I don't remember her name, just kept shrugging her shoulders. She did call the cab company but they put her on hold and never sent another cab, consequently we missed our train to Aix and had to walk two or three blocks to a cab station to catch a cab.
As with all the posters, I did think the location was great. This is alot of information and not meant to change your mind about staying at the Le Regent but I don't like surprises so I always welcome any information that can prepare me for what to expect. I would not have a problem with staying there again as I found the room to be very comfortable and appealing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO