Second hand book stores in London?

Mar 9th, 2001, 08:44 AM
jud

Second hand book stores in London?

Could anyone recommend some good used book stores in London, besides those on Charing Cross Raod( seems to me less and less every year)?Thank you in advance.

Mar 9th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Ann

Take a trip to Hay on Wye - see http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/bookshops/

Mar 9th, 2001, 03:19 PM
SharonM

I wish I could remember the name of the (very)haunted used bookstore, featured on the Travel station the other day...
That would be interesting.
Maybe someone else knows which I'm referring to?

Mar 10th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Judy

Thanks for the responses.
Could you tell me what is "Travel Station"?

Mar 10th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Gomer

Do you mean Travel Channel? If so, why don't you check their website?

Mar 10th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Q.P.

Judy, I can highly recommend Skoob Books, at 15 Sicilian Avenue--a wideranging selection, intelligently organized and priced. (Sicilian Avenue is a small pedestrian arcade between Bloomsbury and Southampton Row, near the Holborn tube station.) Skoob also publishes a comprehensive guide to London's secondhand bookshops that you can find there. There's a good browse to be had in another such arcade, called Cecil Court, just off Charing Cross Road and just beyond the Leicester Square tube stop. Several small bookshops here, all secondhand and antiquarian, each with an interesting specialty--for example, children's books or books about music.

I've heard good things of, but never been to, Primrose Hill Books, 134 Regent's Park Road. You're right about Charing Cross Road--not much there these days in the secondhand category, and what is there is seems overpriced to me.

This subject is obviously dear to my heart, but here's one last tip: don't forget that one of the most useful guides to British bookshops of all kinds is right here on the web. It's the rec.arts.books guide maintained by Evelyn Leeper (bless her heart)at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/uk.htm. Happy browsing!

Q.P.

Mar 11th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Maira

I wholeheartedly second the suggestion for Skoob Books Ltd. The year we visited (1998), it was named the best secondhand bookshop in London by the Washington Post. It was within walking distance from our hotel in Blomsbury, also walking distance from the British Museum. Just as Q.P. said, it is located on a small arcade-type of street across from the Bloomsbury Square. The selection and prices are good. I was elated to find "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman, and "The Eye of the Storm" by Patrick White (1973 Nobel/Lit; can't find his books not even on Amazon.com), both secondhand and in great condition.

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Judy

To Q.P. & Maira:
Thank you both, I would definately try all the places next month when I stop by London.
This is the thing I like about this site most is the williness people like to help others.

Mar 12th, 2001, 08:04 AM
SharonM

I knew Travel Station didn't quite sound right. Yes, Gomer, Travel Channel is correct. (U.S. cable TV station.) I did check their website and unfortunately couldn't find the show I was referring to. Sorry. If I see it again I'll jot it down and let you know the name of the bookstore.

Sep 1st, 2001, 04:26 AM
Topper

For the nice lady who posted that loves bookstores and is going to London soon.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:43 PM
elvira

The haunted bookstore is Maggs, 50 Berkeley Square.