Second draft of 11 days in Swiss and Italy - please critic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 day - Zurich to Grindelward, rent car from Zurich Airport (11 days)

2-5 day - Jungfrau, hiking, and sight seeing, and I got a car and could explore the area

6th day - drive to Turin, City tour

7-8th day - Alba - food and Barolo

9-10th day - drive to Milan, shopping

11th - drive back to Zurich (stop by Fox town outlet) and fly back home

Questions:

1) I rent a car thru out the journey, any suggestion of car park in Milan and Turin coz I like to use public transportation for the citi tour.

2) is there any cross border fee I need to be aware of?

3) I rent car in Swiss and travel to Italy for few days, do I need to specify anything to the rental company?

4) I will do shopping in Milan but leaving Europe in Zurich airport. Where should I do the tax refund? Italy / Swiss border or Swiss airport? Please help!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly do not see the need for a car if you are basing yourself in Grindelwald. And then you are going to PARK it in Milan and Turin when you could easily take the train from Switzerland to those two cities?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There isn't a cross border fee unless you are returning the car in another country. You would need to tell the rental company you are taking the car to Italy (may be an insurance issue) and I think you need a vignette for the highways in Switzerland.

I don't see the point of a car except for the Alba portion.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

It has been a struggle about train vs car... Just so happen,
we got a kid to go with us, and the train between Swiss and Italy requires few interchanges each time, we then decide to opt for a car... I know I may spend more $, yet I may have less concern on train schedule, finding the seats and moving the luggages around with my little son.

Thanks for the advice anyway, car is not a perfect option.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
kja

I also think a car could be more of an encumbrance than a help during this trip, but I don't think you've told us when you will be traveling, and that can make a HUGE difference. Are you sure the roads will be drive-able then? Have you experience driving on snowy/icy roads?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

The trip is in summer starting jul28 as first day flying in Zurich.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going with a car is fine although the train would definitely be easier going into Milan.

Get your VAT done at the border control. Ask the shop assistants in Milan to help you. Be prepared for traffic jams at the border controls every weekend while you're there.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM

It's clear that there are many train changes between hidden and remote places like Grindelwald or Alba and the rest of the world, in your case just at Berne, Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald, Interlaken Ost, Spiez, Milano, Torino, Cavallermaggiore, Alba, Cavallermaggiore, Torino, Milano, Chiasso, Mendrisio Fox Town, Mendrisio, Lugano and Zurich main station.

There are 2 longer, but more scenic itineraries from Grindelwald to Alba:

Grindelwald - Gstaad - Pillon Pass (Glacier3000) - Aigle - Martigny (roman theatre) - Gd St-Bernard Pass or tunnel - Aosta (roman theatre, scenic medieval center, gondola to PIla Les Fleurs) - Chatillon (road to Breuil/Matterhorn) - Pont St. Martin (road to Gressoney/Monte Rosa) - Turin.

Grindelwald - Kandersteg - car shuttle train - Goppenstein (Loetschen Valley/Fafleralp) - Visp (Zermatt/Saas Fee) - Brig (Stockalper castle, Belalp/Aletsch Glacier) - Simplon Pass - Domodossola - Baveno Lake Maggiore (Isola Madre) - Stresa (Isola Bella castle and botanical gardens) - Mottarone (viewpoint) - Lake Orta - Varallo (Sancturary) - Borgosesia - Biella - Turin.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whatever way you travel, 4-5 destinations in 10-11 days with a "little son" sounds very ambitious.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 08:49 PM

While the transfers are more difficult, travelling by train with a young child is much easier than travelling by car. You dont have to stop for the toilet, he can move around, you are free to entertain him rather than him being strapped in a seat and inaccessible and you can feed him while you are going.

It is honestly much more relaxing.

Foxtown can be done as a day trip from Milan ... so stay an extra night in Milan (moving around less is much better with small children). You can then shop in Milan in the morning of your transfer to Zurich, and train in the afternoon.

But I agree with Jean -
Grindlewald (5 nights)
Turin (1 night)
Alba (2 nights)
Milan (1 night)
Zurich (1 night)

in 11 days is too much with a small child. You need to spend the last night in Zurich before flying out. I would not travel from Milan - Zurich on the day of departure.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice! V useful!

Dear Neckervd, I google map your suggested path, seems it travels between the mountains, that's great. I can prepare the food and drinks and stop by scenery spot for a lunch or something! Great idea.

Dear Schuler, Jean, Newbie00, u r right, my plan is too ambitious..... I adjusted the plan a bit:

Grindelward 3 nights 4 days (my flight arrival 6am, arriving Grindelward before noon and could hv a walk)

Alba 4 nights (Barolo, & day trip to Turin / Genoa which is an hour drive only)

Milan (3 nights, day trip to foxtown)

Should be easier!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Three nights somewhere only gives you two days, not four.