Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seats using FF miles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seats-using-ff-miles-552647/)

TravelerGina Aug 18th, 2005 09:25 AM

Seats using FF miles

When you use your FF miles to go to Europe, do they assign you the worst seats on the plane? If you ARE assigned bad seats, do you have the option of making a change at the airport?

On my October trip to Paris, I will be in either the last or next to last row (flying NWA partner Delta out of Cincinnati), depending on whether the plane is the old configuration or new. Seat Guru showed both configurations.

As excited as I've been about my trip, seeing my seat assignment brought me down a bit. Anyone got any GOOD news about flying on FF miles, other than getting an upgrade, which I'm definitely not expecting?!

sandi_travelnut Aug 18th, 2005 09:33 AM

I was put in the middle of the plane, center isle the few times I used FF miles to Europe.

dwzemens Aug 18th, 2005 09:37 AM

When I have used FF miles with Northwest Airlines, I simply choose my seat from the available seats using their online system. The same seat selection is available regardless if I am paying or using FF miles.

TexasAggie Aug 18th, 2005 09:40 AM

When I used FF miles a couple weeks ago (American) for our trip to Greece I was able to specify what seats we would like. I said we wanted to be on the side of the plane with only 2 seats together and did not want to be right next to the WC. We got perfectly acceptable seats - as good as we normally get using my corporate travel account. Perhaps the nice treatment is b/c of my Platinum FF status though...?? I guess I will find out next year b/c I don't think I will re-qualify! :-((

ms_go Aug 18th, 2005 09:44 AM

Sometimes I've found that I get lousy seats when I'm flying on a ticket (paid or FF) issued by one airline for travel on one of its partners - e.g., with a United ticket, I often get assigned seats in the back of the bus on Lufthansa or US Airways, even when I've booked way ahead of time. Have you tried calling to see if you can change the seats?

FF awards generally aren't upgradeable.

HappyCheesehead Aug 18th, 2005 09:49 AM

TravelerGina:

Have you checked the Northwest site? Is your plane full and there are no available seats?

We travel FF and are able to change our seats on line, I suggest you take a look at your reservation and then click on the seat number, it will show you what is open on the plane

HappyCheesehead Aug 18th, 2005 09:51 AM

oops - not sure if Delta flights show up, I have always flown NWA on FF. Can you call Delta and ask for a seat change??

HowardR Aug 18th, 2005 09:55 AM

I've used FF miles to fly on Continental, Delta, United, American and US Air. Never did I get "bad" seats.

sockboy Aug 18th, 2005 09:59 AM

If you don't like your pre-assigned seats, why not call and ask to change them. Unless the flight is already fully pre-assigned (unlikely for an October flight), they will most likely seat in any available seats in your class that you request. Call the airline on which you are actually flying.

PalQ Aug 18th, 2005 09:59 AM

Just got a missive from Northwest that they will let you use as little as 5,000 ff miles to get reduced fares - as low as $350 r.t. in Nov $500 in sep and oct - more miles use cheaper the flight. As NW is perhaps on the verge of bankruptcy may want to use those miles up!

BeachBoi Aug 18th, 2005 09:59 AM

Gina...What date are you departing?

tod Aug 18th, 2005 10:05 AM

Hi TravelerGina,
I am using my FF miles for a Business Class seat and have selected the seat I would prefer. My Travel Agent did the booking only hours before they were going to expire.
Meeting you and ggnga at Deux Magots, 6pm, 5th Oct. will be great. How do we know who's who in the zoo??

nytraveler Aug 18th, 2005 11:00 AM

I've never had an airline give me random seats - I always request whatever I want when we get the tickets. It doesn;t matter if you're FF or paid - as long as it's the same class of service.

If you don;t ask for specific seats when you are ticketed - or most of the seats are already gone by the time you are ticketed - naturally you'll get whatever's left over.

TravelerGina Aug 18th, 2005 11:32 AM

Thanks, all, for the information.

On the Trip Summary and Receipt that I received from NWA shortly after making my reservation in March, it lists me in seat 57C. On the NWA website, it shows the same and doesn't yet give the option of choosing/changing seats (too early?), so hopefully I can make a change as soon as it's available online. I've done it before, but didn't know if the rules were different when using FF miles. I'm glad to hear that I should still have the option.

BeachBoi: I leave October 4th, arriving Paris 9 a.m. on the 5th.

Tod: Not sure how we'll find each other. I'll get back with you on that one as soon as I get myself a better seat on that plane - lol.

I think I'll start out by calling Delta and seeing what happens. Thanks again, everyone, and I'll let you know the outcome!

BeachBoi Aug 18th, 2005 11:42 AM

Gina...I wasnt being nozy i thought you might think that...But Today I have access to my handy dandy kryptonic infused crystallite transponder which has no end to things I can actually find.I see the new 3-3-3 configuration.At this point in time,Delta has only rows 31 and 32 blocked for their elite frequent fliers.Coach begins in row 30.The first aisle seat available is 37G, the first window 34J..There are lots of seats available.Call Delta they'll be happy to change it for you.There are lots of seats open.Best of Luck!

TravelerGina Aug 18th, 2005 11:42 AM

Update: (That was fast, wasn't it?)

I just called Delta and they changed my seats! I'm now in row 35 both ways with requested aisle seat. I had no idea it would be so easy!

That's what makes Fodorsville so great - I learn so much on this board!

sockboy Aug 18th, 2005 11:42 AM

It is very possible that since you booked with NW, but are ticketed on Delta, you won't be able to select your seat online. Definitely call, starting with Delta, then NW if that doesn't work.

sockboy Aug 18th, 2005 11:45 AM

Looks like we posted at the exact same time - so I didn't see your "sucess" post. Glad it worked out.

I find that so much can be done with a simple phone call, and in this internet world we hesitate to call and attempt to do everything on line. Talking with a real person is still very effective!

TravelerGina Aug 18th, 2005 11:47 AM

BeachBoi: Your handy dandy transponder didn't show seat 35F as being available? That's what the Delta person gave me. And 35G coming back on the 12th. They are both aisle seats aren't they? Hope I don't get to the airport and find myself with the original assigned seat!

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 18th, 2005 12:47 PM

I'm not Beachboi but I have my own little seat toy.... :-)

I'm assuming you are on flight #s 44 & 43.

35F on 10/4 is occupied and so are the other 2 seats in the middle section. It is an aisle seat and at worst you will only have 1 person climbing over you.

35G on 10/12 is also occupied and it is also an aisle seat, but this is the window section which means you will have 2 people climbing over you when they need to go.....

If I were you I would try to get the middle section on the return, seat D or F (aisle) as you only have to deal with one person in the middle and if they are a couple, most likely the middle person will choose to climb over their own partner.

Have a great trip!