Seat Reservations

Apr 25th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Jan

Seat Reservations

Does anyone know a website to determine the cost of seat reservations and supplements ahead of time particularly in Germany and Italy?

Apr 25th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Rex

As good as the German website is - - http://bahn.hafas.de (note: no "www") - - this IS frustrating how often they post "No fare information available at this time".

I have found that I get more and better fare information from the www.sncf.fr (French) website, even to the point of "artificially" extending a trip into France, to try to "extrapolate" what the fare is. In otherwords, if you want Milan to Frankfurt, search for Milan to Frankfurt to Lille - - you may be able to estimate supplements (requires a substantial amt of guesswork) with an approach like this.

I think that for many routes, reservations per se don't actually cost anything.

And I don't know if there is similar useful fare information on (some? many?) other countries' rail websites - - but here's where you can get them all at one site (a supersite of websites) - - http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html - - occasionally "down" - - but never for long.

Best wishes,

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Apr 25th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors Seat Reservations

I'm afraid I don't know a website. But in rough terms German charges are these, and Italian will be similar, in US dollars. Thse are mostly charges you pay for being on the tfrain at all, so are technically not reservation fees, but supplements. The InterRail passes that Europeans buy don't cover them, but I don't know about the rail passes that non-Europeans buy.

Second class:
A seat: 5 dollars
A seat in an ICE train in Germany or a Eurostar in Italy: 25 to 50 dollars
A couchette berth in a 6-berth compartment 18 dollars
In Germany but not Italy, a berth in a 4-berth cochette compartment 25 dollars
A berth in a 3-berth sleeper compartment, with your own basin 60 dollars
A berth in a 2-berth ("T2") sleeper compartment 70 dollars

First class
Seats the same as in second class
No couchettes in first class in Germany and Italy. But course first class passholders can book second class couchettes if they like.
A berth in a 2-berth sleeper compartment 100 dollars
A berth in a single berth sleeper compartment 150 dollars.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Search this Thread