Search

Seat for baby?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat for baby?

So here's the question, Fodorites...
TO buy or not to buy 9-month-old baby a seat on the flight to Rome. We have to take a 3 hour flight to Atlanta and then the flight from ATL to FCO.

Buy:
Pros: Baby has own seat, we have more room. Hopefully baby would be strapped in if we hit major turbulance.
Cons: She doesn't like car seat and may not sit in it anyway. It is VERY expensive ($1,200), we have to drag the car seat to Rome and back.

Don't buy:
Pros: Costs much less (there is still some charge). We hope to get a bassinet which allows baby to sleep in own "bed" AND gives us the bulkhead.

Cons: Could be stuck in the middle two seats in row 32 (or similar) holding baby entire trip. What happens if we don't have tight grip of baby if we hit major air pocket?

What did YOU do when you traveled abroad with an infant?
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Our first trip with son (now 20) was from L.A. to Vancouver BC. He was 3 months old. We bought him a seat.

Our second trip with son was from L.A. to Paris, then Rome. He was 13 months old. We bought him a seat.

Why? The gravitational force tryng to hold a baby during severe turbulence and the possibility of death or serious, irreparable injury. Call it insurance.

Also the fact that my parents were dumb enough not to buy me a seat when I was an infant, they hit turbulance, and my father couldn't hold onto me as I flew into the air. Obviously I don't remember this incident, but still have the dent on the top of my skull from my head meeting the upper part of the plane.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM

Severe turbulence is incredibly rare now as aircraft are equipped to detect it and fly around.

I would have thought rather than trying to hold the baby you would use the seatbelt attachment.

However I cannot imagine a long flight with a baby on my knee. Maybe investigate how full the flights normally are. If they are usually full I'd pay the money.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM

You have a big problem in Europe if you are hiring a car because the law says a child has to be in an approved child seat. If not you could face a big fine.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:08 AM

All rental car companies have approved car seats. Just request one
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:46 AM

Bassinets must be booked ahead of time. They are quite small - the child must weigh no more than about 22lb and shorter than about 24 inches. If there is a younger child than yours on the flight the bassinet will go to the younger child, even if you booked it first.

Check on seat guru what the rules are for the airline you are using. Some airlines have special seats for young children which can be booked along with their seat. Otherwise they will allow an approved car seat on board, which can also be used for take off and landing. If it is not an approved seat you will have to hold your child.

The thought of having an active 9 month old on my lap on a long flight fills me with horror tbh.

So I would go with booking an extra seat, at the children's rate (usually 75% of adults rate) even though it is the expensive option. It will a difficult enough time with a jet lagged baby and parents without you being worn out from coping with a wriggly baby all the flight. It will make feeding the baby, and your selves much easier too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I guess our hope was that we would get the bassinet and since it's an overnight flight, she'd sleep through most of the flight. Has anyone out there actually held the baby on an oversees flight? What was it like? Was the (temporary) discomfort worth the savings? How much would someone have to pay you to hold a baby? At $1200, we're talking about basically saving $50/hour to hold her both ways.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM

For the baby's comfort and safety and for your well being and peace of mind, buy a seat. I can't begin to imagine holding an infant on that long of trip, even if I was in first class.You'll be happier, your baby will be happier and your fellow passengers will be happier.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM

A 9 month old is quite a weight and size to hold onto all night. You would have to stay awake yourself for fear for dropping the baby.

Even if you get the bassinet you can not have it for take off and landing and could have to wait sometime before the crew can set it up for you. And as I said there is no guarantee you'll get one - younger babies always have priority, even if their ticket is bought on the day of the flight.
Check on Seat Guru what your airlines rules are.

If the money is such an issue maybe you should consider finding someone to care for the baby while you have a holiday?
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM

Buy a seat for safety. A 9 month old will not just "sit" on your lap. She will want to try to stand up and wiggle all around. That makes for a very long flight for you and for the people in the seats in front of you.
You said that "she doesn't like car seat and may not sit in it anyway". As I'm sure you know, she doesn't get to choose! Before the trip start working with her so she understands that when she is put into car seat, that's it. She'll quickly learn the rule and it will save you a few years of "car seat struggles".
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM

I would get the seat just for the extra space even if baby doesn't spend much time in it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking as someone who sat next to a mother holding an 8-month-old baby during a long flight, please buy a seat for your child. It's not just about what is comfortable and safe for you and your child, and you have no idea how your child will react/behave over the many hours.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this a vacation or a relocation? You either should buy the child a seat -- or if it is too much $$$ for you, leave her w/ your parents or someone. Unless of course -- you are moving to Italy Then forget the 'leave her home' option and buy a ticket.

There are really no other reasonable options. How much of Italy will your daughter remember anyway? It is not safe to hold a baby on that long a flight (I wouldn't hold a baby on any flight longer than about 2 hours BTW)

As already mentioned - You have NO guarantee you will get a bassinet.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
BKP

We took our 11 month old to Paris and did not buy him a seat. We flew nonstop from the west coast. It was an overnight flight and he slept for about half of it. We filled an entire carry on bag with snacks, toys and games. He watched Baby Einstein dvds on our laptop. When we deplaned several people mentioned to us that they didn't even realize there was a baby on the plane. It was the best case scenario.

Looking back, I can't believe we did it and I don't know that I would do it again. It was very stressful. I also didn't do too much research on the safety of it all. Everything worked out fine and we all lived happily ever after, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone else.

One thing in your post jumped out at me and that is your child not liking the car seat. Does that mean she fusses and cries in long car rides? I would practice long trips in the car seat to get her used to it.

How much does she weigh? If she is over 22 lbs you can use the CARES harness. http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ It's a five point restraint, like you find in a car seat, that attaches to the air plane seat belt. It holds them tight like a car seat, but takes up much less space and might not feel as constricting as a car seat.

I understand where you're coming from -- it is a lot of $$. If it was just the stress or hassle of holding a child for that long I wouldn't have a problem with it. Two adults armed with enough food, drinks, toys, and games can satisfy most children. A child in his or her own seat may be just as fussy and unhappy. But, it just comes down to safety for me. A quick google search of unrestrained children and turbulence provides pretty convincing results.

We're actually grateful that our son is old enough that we have to buy him a ticket. We hate paying the extra $$ but are glad that we don't have to make this decision ourselves.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM

Would you make a 10 hour car drive with the baby just leaning on the back seat?

If not, how can you possibly justify the risks of flying with a baby not strapped into a proper infant seat? (If the money is that much of an issue - don;t go.)

(In any substantial turbulence a lap child easily becomes a flying missile inside the plane - dangerous not only to itself but all other passengers.)
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Deciding to buy a baby a seat is a tough decision and the results are a crapshoot too, in my opinion.

As for the safety issue, if you do not buy your child a seat, you will be given an attachment to your seatbelt to strap in your child to your seatbelt for take off and landing. Keeping a child seated and belted in over the whole flight is the safest option but what child is going to sit with her seat belt on for 8 hours? If turbulence hits unexpectedly, who knows whether your child will have her seat belt on at that moment. If she has her own seat, at least you can buckle her in once it gets bumpy but you could probably reattach the extension seatbelt used at take off and landing to your seatbelt as well. I have no idea how safe/effective those extension seatbelts actually are.

We have traveled overseas with our now 3 year old daughter 3 times. The first time she was 10 months (to Rome also - I can send you the link to our trip report if you are interested) and we bought her a seat and brought the carseat. She sat happily in the carseat and slept almost the entire flight. We were so worried, this was a tremendous relief and all was well. When we arrived in Rome, we used the carseat in the taxi and we shoved it in a closet for the duration of our stay and used it the same way on the way home. Dragging a carseat through the airport is not fun.

Second trip was when daughter was 20 months. Hoping for arepeat performance, we bought her a seat and brought the carseat. At this age she was newly walking and a busy explorer. She wanted nothing to do with that carseat or being strapped in. After tormenting the entire plane with protest screams for what seemed like an eternity while we waited on the runway to take off, we took her out of the carseat and she remained on my lap (eventually sleeping) for the next 6 hours. We silently cursed the carseat while I thought and the $800 we paid for her ticket. Lesson learned: once you bring the carseat on the plane, you are stuck with it and there is no where but your lap for your child to sit if she won't sit in the carseat. We also used one of those GogoKidz things for the carseat which I would not recommend.

Third time, I heeded the previously ignored but excellent advice BKP gave me and bought the CARES harness. This time daughter was almost three so we had to buy her a seat. We strapped her into the CARES harness, brought some coloring books and a DVD player and she sat quietly, played, and fell asleep watching cartoons. We all got some sleep and walked off the plane with our 2lb CARES contraption snickering at those parents struggling with the carseats (just kidding, we felt their pain).

So we've bought a seat each time with mixed results. The nice thing about buying a seat is that you have extra space to spread out, even if your kid does not sit in her seat, extra space on the floor for your things and an extra baggage allowance (but that might depend on the airline given the new charges for checked luggage these days). Also, irrationally, I feel less badly when my child is screaming knowing that I've paid for her seat! If you child does not like the carseat, I'd definitely bring the CARES harness instead (check the size/weight requirements in case your child is too small for it). If you decide not to buy him/her a seat, and schedule permitting, I strongly recommend you use some of the money you saved on the plane ticket to extend your trip by a night or two so you can recover from your journey and relax.

Good luck and have fun! Rome is a great place to go with a child. Happy to answer any other Rome/baby questions
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Disclaimer, I am not a parent. But I have done overnight flights Seattle to Heathrow on a number of occasions. I can't imagine trying to hold a 9 month old on your lap in those tiny airplane seats for the entire trip. For ALL kinds of reasons (safety, baby comfort, your comfort, the sake of the passengers around you) buy the seat.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM

If you are buying a seat for a child and you plan to use a car seat, make sure that the airline allows that particular car seat to be used on the flight. Some airlines do not allow child car seats at all.

Flying without a car seat for a child is still safer than driving with a car seat, statistically.

From a comfort point of view, of course it would be best to have the extra seat. However, if both parents sit next to each other in a bank of two seats, then at least the discomfort will only be experienced by them, and not any other seatmates.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
BKP

Sally30 -- While I would like to take credit for your pleasant flight because of the CARES harness, I probably have to share some of it with the portable DVD player! Now that's a lifesaver! We're flying transatlantic again in a couple of months and we're bringing my laptop, my iphone and my husband's zune. "What sweetie? You want to sit quietly and watch another episode of the Backyardigans? No problem!"