Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Seat assignments and leg room aboard Alitalia?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/seat-assignments-and-leg-room-aboard-alitalia-111317/)

lisa B Mar 10th, 2001 12:09 PM

Seat assignments and leg room aboard Alitalia??

Just found out from my travel agent that since we got out tickets through a consolidator, we can't get seat assignments until airport check-in. aarrgghh!!! This horrifies me, since I can only imagine the 12 hour flight from Los Angeles stuck in the middle of a 5 seat section, and not even getting to sit near my husband possibly. Has anyone had this experience, where you have to wait to get seats until you get to airport? Am I worrying about nothing? How is the "coach" class seating, is there room? Alitalia boasts that it has one of the "roomiest" coach sections.

Diane Mar 10th, 2001 02:36 PM

Have you tried calling Alitalia directly? The worst that can happen is they'll say, sorry, you have to wait. Good luck...Do you have to change planes anywhere (like Newark or Boston?) Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with consolidator tickets. Keep reminding yourself that you are saving enough for a really wonderful dinner or two or even three...

mari Mar 11th, 2001 02:19 AM

Lisa, here are a few suggestions for reaching Alitalia. If you call the 800 #, select a language don't press O thinking you will get through to a real person faster. It just gets you a never-ending busy signal. In desperation, I called the Alitalia desk at my airport. You have to call when they are there before of just after a scheduled flight and they may help you. I learned this after a week of trying to call Alitalia and then finally calling them in Rome! Didn't want to risk last minute seat assignments with 6 people and 2 of them 80 years old. Hope this helps.

Deb Mar 11th, 2001 05:09 AM

I had the same issue with British Airways last year. I called and found out the earliest time I could go check in which was actually about 5 hours before flight time. I live close to the airport so went down and got my seat assignment early. Worked out fine.

Neva Mar 11th, 2001 09:47 AM

Deb, I'm flying British Airways to Madrid next month -- so I can check in five hours before flight time, get seat assignments, then return to the airport later? Sorry if this seems like an obvious question, but I want to make sure I've got the formula right... thanks!

Lisa B Mar 11th, 2001 10:29 AM

Diane and Mari, thanks for the tip on calling Alitalia directly instead of going through my travel agent - and yes, Mari, I was on hold over 53 minutes (!) before I got a live person... only to be told that yes, I must get seats upon airport check in. So, I think I will try what Deb said worked with British Airways, and call Alitalia back (using Mari's tips about circumventing their frustrating phone set-up) and see how early we can go check in. Mari - how were the seats on Alitalia, I'm 5'9" and leg room is always a huge deal, are they at least somewhat comfortable? Thanks to others who might have other info. <BR> <BR>

Nancy Mar 11th, 2001 02:33 PM

Due to my fear of Delta striking in April and a cheap fare..I have a flight booked with Alitalia. Worst trip of my life was with them, so I am a bit concerned about the long trip overseas. Plane is a 747-200, massive cattle car. With a 3/5/3 configuration, what would your best picks for seats be for 2 people? Last time we had the window and adjacent seat with this nasty guy on the end who slept most of the flight and became very angry when asked to allow us to get up for BR breaks. HELP!! Flight is to Milan..any ideas?? Also, as a matter of preference where due you like to sit on a flight, towards the front, back..??

Martin Margulis Mar 11th, 2001 02:37 PM

We just returned from Milan and found leg room in coach much better than United, our usual carrier. Also the food was prettty good.

Deb Mar 11th, 2001 05:42 PM

To Neva, Verify ahead of time by calling British Airways, they have that info for all airports and they were right on for me. Yes, I checked my luggage and got seat assignments and just came back with my carry on later. It kind of scares me whether my bag would get on the right flight when I leave it so early but it all worked okay.

Neva Mar 11th, 2001 08:29 PM

Thanks, Deb, for the great tip.