Reload this Page >

Seasonal sales to Europe from US....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:40 PM
Lisa

I've noticed some great deals to Europe for fall/winter season, is this the very best deals for the year, or can I expect good deals to Europe in the spring as well, say in late April thru May?

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:57 PM
rlk

-- <BR>Right now is pretty much as good as it gets. And there's some GREAT fares out there. Prices usually start to go back up for traveling anytime after March. With April & early May, you're in 'shoulder season' and then June-July-August is prime time & "high season". <BR> <BR>Personally I think that early to mid October is THE best time to go most places in Europe (weatherwise) - and as you've noticed you can get a decent fare.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Rex

I disagree. Fall is getting more and more known as one of the most fabulous times of the year to see Europe - - and consequently, demand is driving prices up and availability down. I'm not saying that bargains don't exist, but it requires puncing - - and mostly for the second half of October and beyond, when the weather is not so predctably nice, and prices reasonably should be lower. <BR> <BR>I found good bargains for March, April and even May last year. Of course, the best deals were on sale in January for March and some April - - and the weather is not necessarily any more reliable then than it is in late October or early November. And I am biased towards the possibility of spring break trips (with kids) - - a possibility that doesn't have a parallel in the fall necessarily. But I also found some great prices well in to the middle of May, on sale with as little as 1-2 weeks notice (if you can make plans on such short notice). I am still kicking myself that I let a May trip pass me by this past spring - - it was only $500 for airfare from New York to Helsinki, Vienna and Budapest (a 4 leg open jaw). <BR> <BR>So, good deals may exist in both shoulder periods. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Brian in Atlanta

The best fall sales (up to Dec 15) are over (ATL - London $329, etc.) but I fully expect a new round of sales to begin soon. Due to the rising cost of jet fuel, they may not be as cheap, but should still be pretty good. I'll go out on a limb here and wager that they'll be good for travel through April 15.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:29 AM
DEBBIE

I just got a flyer in the mail (sorry I tossed it so quickly) from Northwest - decent fairs from US to Europe. ( around $450 I think from midwest to Europe.) for travel up through Feb 2001. <BR> <BR>may be worth looking into

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 01:35 PM
Don

In general, dead of Winter--late Jan. through late March--is usually cheapest, but there are some cheap fares Nov. 1-mid December too. Winter '00 saw some dip to $179, and $199 roundtrip was not uncommon. <BR> <BR>Icelandair just announced at $198rt sale today. They're a ".com" if you want to check out the details. Wouldn't surprise me if other airlines follow suit this weekend.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Maira

I try to keep close track of this stuff and, to be honest, this year, the oil situation may throw us all for a loop. Usually there are some really tempting offers in Feb. I have seen better offers this year for fall travel than last year, but those have been offered later (September). Last year I bought my Spain ticket in December for May travel. The price came down in March (about $50 cheaper). If you want to travel this fall, buy now. If you want to travel in the Spring, buy if less than $550, otherwise, wait at a max till Feb.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:22 PM
George

I am inquiring about the same thing lisa was. I plan on flying on March 28th or 29th, till April 30th. I noticed that many cheap fairs had rules saying you had to end travel by the 30th of April. I can get a fair on U.S. Airways for $390 + taxes, it comes out to like $454.00, but I can't decide on if I should buy it now, or wait for a better deal later on, like in January. What do you all think? I'm flying from Orlando to Frankfurt, because Frankfurt always offered the lowest fair from Orlando. Thanks

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:19 PM
Lisa

Outstanding advice/comments from all of you. Thank you very much, I knew I'd get all I needed here at Fodors. <BR> <BR

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Judy

Hi Lisa, just got an e-mail from Delta for fares to London from Atlanta: 372$(other cities included) round trip,,,,,try their web site and sign up for e-fare quotes.....Judy

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 07:11 AM
kim

Why don't you look into Priceline or one of those sites? Last year I got tix from NY to LON for $300 -- for travel in JULY.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Lisa

Kim, Judy, Debbie, <BR>Thank you for your advice, and trust me, I am on every e-mail list I can find regarding sales for air travel overseas, the rest I have bookmarked, along w/ certain airlines, that I check regularly. <BR>Rex,rlk,Maria,and Brian provided the answer I was most interested in, which was the cycle of sales, in general, for the whole year, when to look, when to buy, for when one wants to fly. I do have the kind of job where I can take time off w/ a few days notice, at certain times of the year, like April/May, July/August. Since I've only been to Euro once(for one teeny tiny little week), I plan to have bags packed and papers in order so I can take off at a moments notice to...ANYWHERE!