Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Searching for the George V of apartments in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/searching-for-the-george-v-of-apartments-in-paris-735264/)

Weebles Sep 9th, 2007 01:26 PM

Searching for the George V of apartments in Paris

Hi All,

This is my first post so please be kind. I've been scouring this website as well as many others for months looking for a high end apartment. I'm not having much luck so I'm going to bite the bullet and post my question. I'm looking for a very high end apartment in Paris for one week. The problem is, I'm really looking for something ultra luxurious. The place I'm looking for would be a 5 star type apartment however, I haven't found any. Yes, that could mean there is no such thing but I'm still hopeful!

I know lots of people on this board seem to love ParisPerfect. Sadly, I don't look at those apartments and think they're all that terrific. I'd say they look more like 3 or 4 star at best. Yes, I'm picky and I do admit it!

In addition, I've also looked at many other websites that supposedly offer luxury apartments but even those don't look all that special. For the record, I've searched websites such as:

chezvous
haveninparis
vrbo
timeandplace
parisattitude
guestapartment
goin2travel
parisluxuryrentals

etc etc etc. Just wanted to list a few so you knew I was doing my homework. In any case, this really is for a very special occasion and yes, we could stay at the George V or the Ritz but, I really wanted to stay at an apartment. Ideally it would be in the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th but we'd even consider the 1st, 2nd, or 16th!

So, my question is, does such a place exist. I feel as though I've exhausted all my options but, I'm hoping someone here might have rented a place or even saw a place that you feel is really special. If you have, please let me know. Our budget is up to about $7K per week and it's for 2 people.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

kerouac Sep 9th, 2007 01:34 PM

Here's something in your price range:
http://www.homelidays.com/paris-03/a...t114192fr1.htm

travelbunny Sep 9th, 2007 01:36 PM

you missed Paris Perfect...remember though, what makes George V a luxurious isnt just the room but the service so no apt can match that.

Weebles Sep 9th, 2007 01:40 PM

Hi TB--no I haven't missed ParisPerfect. I've seen all their apartments and sadly, they're just not what I'm looking for.

I only mentioned the George V so folks would know that I meant very high end. Yes, I do realize that an apartment isn't going to come with a concierge desk---and that's okay!

jody Sep 9th, 2007 02:01 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in apt. no matter how luxurious someone is going to have to make the beds and clean up the bathroom. Me I'd book a suite at the George Cig and forget abou housekeeping!

elsiejune Sep 9th, 2007 04:36 PM

Weebles: Jody may be right, you might be best served in a luxurious suite at one of the 5 star hotels. If you're really serious about finding an apartment, however, you really need to ask yourself what it is you're looking for. Here are a few places that you haven't mentioned: OurParisHome.com, Ville et Village, Just France (rue du Bac, and others), and Perfect Places #3952. Oh, and the Brangilina flat that's been advertised on VRBO. With your budget, I would insist on a high floor, luxurious flat with balcony and view in the location of your choice. Otherwise, give your money to the hotel of your choice. P.S. ParisPerfect really does provide excellent service, accomodations, and views. You might want to take a second look. Happy shopping, EJ ((#))

amamax2 Sep 9th, 2007 05:07 PM

On Samantha Brown's travel show, she stayed in a gorgeous apt through this agency:

http://www.parisluxeapt.com/

She said it was expensive and very luxurious.

janisj Sep 9th, 2007 05:09 PM

have you checked out ParisLuxe?

http://www.parisluxeapt.com/category.htm

But the ones that have the the amenities you seem to require will be over your budget. My thought is you won't find a flat w/ the quality of the Ritz/George V from much under $8000-$12000 a week.

Reason being - really deluxe townhouses/apartments are REALLY deluxe, where as really deluxe hotels have a certain economy of scale. There are many rooms rented for $1000 a night more or less - partly subsidized by the restaurants/bars/services. A equal private property would cost a LOT more

Squeak Sep 9th, 2007 05:29 PM

I want to first start off by thanking those who have tried to help the picky Fodorite!

So in my original post, when I listed the sites I've checked out, that was not meant to be an inclusive list. I have a HUGE folder in my favorites. I just couldn't see listing them all. I have looked at all that have been mentioned the the exception of the Brangelina apartment (which I couldn't find easily on VRBO) and I hadn't heard of OurParisHome so thank you!!

For those who have asked, yes, I have stayed at some very nice hotels but I would just like to experience the same in an apartment. I do realize that it's alot of money to spend when you have to make your own bed, etc. Still, it's an experience I'd like to have.

Rue de Bac on JustFrance looks very cold and waaay too minimalistic for my taste. There's nothing Parisean about it, it just looks ultra comtemporary to me. I would choose 23, RUE DU CHERCHE-MIDI over Rue De Bac.

My favorite apartment that I found, is just way out of our range. I'm hoping that I can find something just as nice for a lot less.

http://www.parisluxeapt.com/apt_chanel2.htm

I feel like I'm completely in the minority here but, I just don't get the ParisPerfect thing. I look at some of those bathrooms and think they look like the low end of Home Depot and some of their furniture looks like something I'd see at Ikea. Really! And I know we're not buying the place, just renting--but still!! To me, they don't have the look of high end although I admit that I've read nothing but glowing reviews about their service.

I really can be pleased in spite of what you may think. I was just hoping there would be a website or place to go that specializes in high end rentals.

mclaurie Sep 9th, 2007 05:52 PM

A vacation rental for $1,000/night will likely be more about space than luxury. People who want luxury also want service and for service you need a hotel or a home staffed with cook/maid/butler etc. Perhaps that's possible to find through a concierge service or through personal contacts. It would be interesting to hear what it is you want (or don't want) that an apt. will offer that a hotel cannot.

Perhaps these people can help you.
http://www.fly-you-to-the-moon.com/

janisj Sep 9th, 2007 06:05 PM

&quot;<i>I'm hoping that I can find something just as nice for a lot less.</i>&quot;

I just don't think you are being realistic. That kind of quality comes w/ a price, but it seems you aren't willing to pay it. My guess is a $1000 a night hotel room will be about comparable to a $1500-$2000+ a night apartment. Plus staff.

janisj Sep 9th, 2007 06:10 PM

oh - and what is the deal w/ the different screen name???

You say it is &quot;Weebles&quot; first post - but then come back as &quot;squeak&quot;. So you just re-registered and claimed to be a newbie?

lemidi Sep 9th, 2007 06:23 PM

Weebles, are you Squeak? I thought this was your first post?
Anyway, you're asking for a reason, so have you tried La Cure who specializes in high end rentals worldwide (mostly villas) that usually include housekeeping and sometimes a cook.They have a few places in PAris. Here's one but is probably out of the price range
http://www.lacurevillas.com/villaDet...p?VillaID=7132 .

Iwan2go Sep 9th, 2007 10:05 PM

I'm noticing that on the parisluxeapt website, some of the apartments are actually from parisvacationapartments, but the prices are about double. (The 3 bedroom &quot;Anouck&quot;, for example, is $8000/week on parisluxe, while on pva it's closer to $5000).

Perhaps you could discover which is the original website for the apartment you love - Chanel? (which is gorgeous!!!) and it will be less.

Good luck.

travel_buzzing Sep 10th, 2007 12:25 AM

I'm assuming that you are going as a couple (2 persons)? There's an apartment on the Champs Elys&eacute;es with a little garden which is well under your budget for the week. there's actually a 35% discount for week stays: http://www.way2stay.com/Paris-apartm...n-109-1853.htm

The bathroom, the location and the garden make it luxury.

chicagolori Sep 10th, 2007 05:48 AM

Will she come back as Squeak or Weebles? ... stay tuned.

Weebles Sep 10th, 2007 06:15 AM

I'm Weebles, my sister is Squeak and I didn't log her out. I screwed up and she's not happy with me. AAARRGGH, sorry.

I noticed that many of the Paris Lux Apartments were also available on many other websites as well and you're right, they're about twice the price. In any case, they are just way over my range anyway.

I thought $7000 per week would certainly allow us to stay in an exceptional apartment but apparently I'm wrong.

smarty Sep 10th, 2007 09:31 AM

The Small &amp; Elegant Hotels agency also represents a range of apartments in Paris, offered by arr. on their web site. The Suffern Ave apt in the 7th is extremely lovely and well within your budget. Perhaps they can arranged maid service for an additional fee?

http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com

Happy Hunting!

Guenmai Sep 10th, 2007 04:57 PM

In Paris, you pay for space and location. The furnishings might not be all that great. Happy Travels!

NeoPatrick Sep 10th, 2007 05:40 PM

I'm more than a little confused myself here. Yes, I understand luxury, but after you, yourself, and others listed about a dozen very high end rental websites you say &quot;I was just hoping there would be a website or place to go that specializes in high end rentals.&quot; Huh? There are and you're looking at them.

I'm also confused that you said you'd expect to pay $1000 a night, but you found one you really like but it &quot;is just way out of our range&quot; at $1275 a night. You want to find something like that but for less? Well on that same site are quite a number of really beautiful apartments for around $1000, but as you certainly know -- if an apartment is worth $1275 -- no one's going to let it go for $1000. Either you have to come up with more money, or lower your sights just a bit.

Now I'm even more confused by the comment that says the apartments on Paris Luxe can be gotten for as little as half the price on some other websites, (like $500 to $650 a night apparently?), but you say &quot;In any case, they are just way over my range anyway.&quot;

I never knew I was so math challenged, but how is $500 to $650 a night &quot;way over&quot; your price range which was supposedly $1000 per night? Or if you could find that one you really like that lists on parisluxe for $1275 for less -- like $1000 per night -- would that now still be way out of your price range?

You said, &quot;I thought $7000 per week would certainly allow us to stay in an exceptional apartment but apparently I'm wrong.&quot; HUH?????????

Meanwhile, what are we to make out of the idea that you registered here just to post this question on your sister's computer? Also that she signed in today between your posts, but she didn't make any posts -- you did, under her name. Really confusing. So you are brand new to Fodors, and you are not Squeak who has been posting here for quite a while -- she's your sister whose computer you're using?