Searching for a Honeymoon Destination

Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Searching for a Honeymoon Destination

We need suggestions for a 2-3 week honeymoon destination for sometime in either April or May of 2004. We have both been to destinations within Europe many times, but never together. So, it's important for us to go somewhere together that neither of us has been to. Other than a destination in Europe, we are also open to suggestions in Australia, New Zealand and South America.

So, we will not choose from the following countries in Europe: UK, Scotland, Wales, Greece, Italy, France, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Lichtenstein.

It doesn't make any difference to either of us if we explore cities, the coast or the countryside, or a combination of those choices. The pace should not be fast; we are open to renting a car for all or part of the trip, or else using the train. We're looking for casual, laid back, cultural, fun, and most of all memorable.

Our budget exclusive of airfare from the US to wherever we go is $5,000 to $7,000.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM

Since you've ruled out most of Europe, unless you want to go to Russia or one of the former republics, I suggest you post this question on another board.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, there are plenty of other countries in Europe to choose from, although each of us have been to the more popular ones.

Oh, and we have been to The Netherlands too, so that is another off of our list to choose from.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:45 PM

Sorry, I guess there is Scandinavia.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
ira

Leslie,

I truly envy you. You have seen all that there is to see in UK, Scotland, Wales, Greece, Italy, France, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary, the Netherlands and Lichtenstein.

I guess that you could do 2-3 weeks in Belgium.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:14 AM
arr

Cyprus (even though I've always considered it part of Asia)
Turkey
Ireland

Argentina (Patagonia region, Bueno Aires, Iguazu falls), then to Brazil or Chile
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:16 AM
arr

May I add that in the latin america board they are always raving about Costa Rica (although it's central not south america).
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:31 AM
Maira

leslie--- each one of the countries you are ruling out have tremendous diversity, so I am surprised that having been already there does not make you want to explore them even more (?). The weather for late April-early May in most of the countries left unlisted is not the best; i.e. Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, etc.. I would go to New Zealand or Australia. My niece just returned from Chile and Argentina and came back in love with both countries. Costa Rica is a great recommendation (known as "The Switzerland of the Americas"). Something to consider.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:54 AM
ChatNoir

leslie wrote: "So, it's important for us to go somewhere together that neither of us has been to."

Is this some sort of new age symbolic action since you both are starting a new life together?

Why exclude so many wonderful locations and risk going someplace you will not like/enjoy?

Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:18 AM

Albania.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:32 AM
JES

Since you have been to so many locations, why don't you list the countries you WOULD consider going to and I bet you'd get some better responses. It would be easier to help you.
I went to Peru a few years ago (Amazon to Machu Picchu) and had one of the most incredible trips in my life. It's very rustic but so interesting and beautiful. I'm not sure if this is what you would consider for a honeymoon. Or how about an African Safari? That's what my husband and I did for our honeymoon and it was incomparable. You can do it in your price range (though probably toward the higher end).
Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:50 AM

I tend to agree with Maira - "each one of the countries you are ruling out have tremendous diversity" - and that you would probably enjoy a couple of days in some new place WITHIN one of the countries you have crossed off.

April is an EXCELLENT time to see Europe. It's one of the driest months of the year, the southern countries aren't too hot yet, the north is at its prettiest and no longer cold, and the other tourists are mostly at home.

But why not start with a place you haven't seen - Belgium. Brugge is romantic, Ghent attractive, and the Ardennes mountains scenic and historic. You could easily spend an interesting week there.

I'd then hop on one of the cheap flights that head to Athens and spend a week in Greece - include a stay on one of the islands.

And since Belgium is next door, don't leave Europe without a return visit to the Netherlands if you haven't seen tulips in the spring - Keukenhof is a terrific place to see them.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions thus far. And, although neither of us has not fully explored each country that one or both of us have been to, there are reasons why we have decided to explore a country that neither of us has been to.

To the person that suggested Turkey, thank you. Friends of mine go to Turkey each year, to different locations each time, and rave about the country. So, we will look into Turkey in depth. We will also look into the Scandanavian countries, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:28 AM

Leslie -

I was going to suggest Murren, Switzerland until I read you've already eliminated the whole country from your list of possibilities. I always thought Murren would make an incredibly romantic honeymoon, even in the off season of April or May, although you'd probably not want to spend 2-3 weeks there!

But, since you've crossed that from your list, my next suggestion would be the South Island of New Zealand, one of my personal favorites. Two or three weeks would give you ample time to hit the highlights of the island, and still take it at a leisurely pace.

The South Island has many romantic lodging options, including private cottages on vineyards, secluded B&B's, wilderness lodges, you name it. April and May would be a great time to visit -the orchards and vineyards should be in full swing, and the sightseeing options are endless.

You can't get more casual, laid back and memorable than the South Island of NZ.