SE England or Brussels/Brugge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have a few extra days after our Venice trip before we head home.. Should we visit SE England or Brussels/Brugge.. We have never been to Belgium before.

Help us choose and tell me why.

thanks !!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
nbujic

My vote is for Brussels/Brugge

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How many is a "few"? if just 2 or 3 I'd probably vote for Brussels/Brugge. Lots to see in a compact area w/o rushing about.

But if you are talking about 4 or more days I'd definitely opt for Kent/East Sussex. What time of year is the trip? And where have you been in SE England before?

If the trip is Spring through Fall, the gardens in Kent are worth a week by themselves.

A few of the sites in Kent/E Sussex include Sissinghurst, Hever Castle/Gardens, Chartwell, Penshurst Place, Knole, Scotney Castle/Gardens, Bodiam Castle, Dover, Canterbury, seaside resorts, steam railways, wineries, Leeds Castle (far down the list but still worth a visit) and a lot more.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM

You posted this twice - that isn't usually such a good idea since folks posting to one may not see the entries on the other one . . . . .
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM

OOPS - hit post too soon. From your other thread I now see the trip is in May. But still don't know how many days you plan for this excursion.

May is would be a great time in the SE . . . . .
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM
MaureenB

What about Amsterdam? We loved it there.
>-

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

we have to fly to/from Gatwick or Brussels so that is why we choose our locations.

I was thinking it may be a bit less expensive in Belgium due to the euro
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM

How long???

BTW - just because the exchange rate $ to £ is different than $ to € doesn't mean it is worse. You'll get about the same buying power. The € at $1.30 vs the £ at $1.95 doesn't give you .65 more to spend.

And if you are talking about Brussels vs. rural SE England - SE England will be cheaper. Now London vs. Brussels you are talking about the same sorts of costs. But outside of London accomodations will be less expensive.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM

If you enjoy gardens and countryside, there is no better place than SE England.
If you are into Art Nouveau architecture and citywalks, a vote here for brussels/gent/brugge.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Potentially different types of breaks -

I'm going to project my own biases a bit - sorry...

Venice/Brugge: How much renaissance can you take? Both beautiful cities, but both crowded and touristy, not to mention expensive.

SE England: Different scene. There, I'd rent a car and do a countryside tour - stay in villages/B&Bs, see some rural country, forget about old masters or big city squares. Lots of nice villages/country walks, old churches, pints of beer to be had, cheaper than Belgium if only because it's the countryside and not tourist-priced towns.

Then drop the car at LGW and you're good to go.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM

<SE England: Different scene. There, I'd rent a car and do a countryside tour - stay in villages/B&Bs, see some rural country, forget about old masters or big city squares. Lots of nice villages/country walks, old churches, pints of beer to be had,>

So well said Gardyloo! I am pining away... On the similar thread by this OP I suggested Arundel and Arundel Castle, and the South Downs. These seem to fit your description perfectly.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM

I AM SO EXCITED!! Someone is actually considering Belgium! Belgium is the country one goes to because they can get there in 3hrs from London ... and then they say. WOW! We should have planned to stay here longer!!

Belgium is AWESOME! Brugge is my favorite city in Belgium. I could live and die there and be so content.

The truth of the matter is that I also adore England. ... But Belgium is always so under appreciated. Belgium is magical. Try the raspberry beer! Have some mussels and fries. DO NOT forget the chocolate. (Belgium chocolate is to die for!!)

BELGIUM!!!

(Now I want to go again )
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
nbujic

I have voted for Belgiun already, but wish to add one more vote for Belgum chocolates ( FRESHLY made).
Brussels has a French flavour ( a very good Museum of modern art), Brugges is Flemish and one of the most charming places in Europe.
On the way, you can stop in Ghent for a short tour and lunch!

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Brugges is the most magical city (small) we have ever been to! I agree with the others regarding the chocolates. Once you have eaten their fresh chocolates, you'll NEVER eat Godiva again (it's full of wax!)And the bread! Pure heaven! And the raspberry beer YUM! And I'm not a beer drinker! Don't just go for a day. Immerse yourself for three to four at least. Ghent is also wonderful. Can't wait to go back. We got engaged there in 1996 and had our wedding rings made there. Charming place; don't miss it!!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:05 AM

count me in as another who loves Belgium!
The cheapest airfare (by far) I could find was into Brussels, so I spent a few days in Belgium before heading to Amsterdam and Paris. I thought the whole place was magical, especially Bruge.