first time to europe! need advice :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI!! i am going to europe for the first time this summer and I will be traveling for 2 weeks with my friend. We are trying to figure out what to see! Between the two of us we will have already seen a good amount of Italy, Paris, Brussels, Switzerland and a few places in Austria. We have 2 weeks and we are currently considering Prague, Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam and London. I would like advice on which cities we need to see and what are some fun things you all suggest! Let me know if you think there are better places to see! Sooooo let me know what you all think! Thanks so much!!
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 01:35 AM

Welcome!

I think you have too many places for a 2 week trip - you dont want to spend all your time checking in and out of hotels and in transport! It takes approx. 1/2 day of transiting to change locations so to see all those places you will lost 4 days just to that! I would choose 4 of the places you want to see and enjoy them. Save the others for next trip.

If you are already going to be in Paris (are you starting there?) You could train to London, then train or ferry to Amsterdam, train to Munich, train to Berlin and fly home from there.

Or you could drop London (I wouldnt, its a great city) and train to Brussels from Paris and get off the train for the day or an overnight to see the beautiful main square and then continue onto Amsterdam - Munich - Berlin. Brussels is the one I would drop personally or just do as I said above, I woudl prefer to spend my time in the more interesting places on your list.

Barcelona and Madrid are really the outlyers, so I'd drop them and save them for a Spain trip next time!

You book the eurostar between London and Paris (and London and Amsterdam) and you need to book as soon as tickets are available - 90 days out I think) to get the best price www.eurostar.com

If you click on my name I also did a trip report about taking the overnight ferry from London to Amsterdam which will save you the hotel expense that night.

Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM

I am a bit confused - if this is your first time to Europe how will you have seen all those areas before?

Also, if you have already been to Brussels...why would you want to go back?
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:16 AM

I don't understand this post either. It's your first trip to Europe but you've already seen Italy, etc. Hmmm. Perhaps they will be traveling in Europe before they meet up for their 2 weeks together???

You sound young. After Paris go to Amsterdam and Prague. That will use your 2 weeks.

If you have no idea what to see in those cities then get some guide books. You can also click on "destinations" at the top of this screen for some quick ideas of what to see.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure, but I <i>think</i> you mean you are taking a longer trip to Europe this summer and are meeting up w/ your friend for the final two weeks. Is that right??

Why not give us more info and clarify -

How long is the whole trip?
Where are you flying in/out of?
What sorts of things you hope to see/do?
Where are you two meeting for the two weeks together?
How old are you?(makes a little bit of difference re where to go for first timers)