Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scottish Firsts (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scottish-firsts-368812/)

sheila Oct 14th, 2003 01:12 PM

Scottish Firsts

I've just finished this book which is a great checklist of how we Scots have been running the world for generations:)

Gardyloo, you get a mention. I never heard it said as "regardez l'eau".

Essential reading for those intending to visit God's country.

Gardyloo Oct 14th, 2003 02:38 PM

Regard it all you want.

L'eau est polluée; buvez du vin.

For those wondering, the book is entitled <i>How the Scots Invented the Modern World</i> by Arthur Herman.

jody Oct 14th, 2003 02:43 PM

Sheila...if we come visit can Gardyloo come too?

flanneruk Oct 14th, 2003 02:52 PM

But didn't you think it was an inferior knock-off of &quot;How the Irish Saved Civilization&quot; by Thomas Cahill? (written six years before Mr Herman)

And how very Scots that they had to get an American to write it for them...

PatrickLondon Oct 15th, 2003 12:57 AM

I rather think most Scots assumed that the rest of the world did as they do, and took it as read that the Scots were in charge; and that it needed an American to 'state the bleedin' obvious' and write a book to tell his compatriots they weren't.

(adjusts tin hat and retires immediately)

Gardyloo Oct 15th, 2003 05:30 AM

Sheila, it looks like we'll need at least two stools to fling.

(I believe Mr. Herman's current project has as its working title <i>How the English Invented Whingeing</i>.)

sheila Oct 15th, 2003 06:12 AM

Actually, althought I've got &quot;How the Scots...&quot;, (indeed, it was a gift from a Fodorite) it's actually called &quot;Scottish Firsts&quot;.

I'm with Patrick.:)

Gardy, Jody and her husband are coming to visit next year. Would you care to meet up?

Gardyloo Oct 15th, 2003 06:36 AM

Dunno. Ms. Loo has her heart set on a freighter cruise round the Indian Ocean. Adding Aberdeen to that might be too much of a good thing.

Patrick, I got confused about who the &quot;they&quot; referred to. I assumed you meant the Scots, but in re-reading it I gather you were referring to Americans. So the stool is being stored for future use.

FYI, Mr. Herman sits on the Scottish Arts Council.

PatrickLondon Oct 15th, 2003 10:22 AM

Yes, Gardyloo, I was teasing (not whingeing: I'm part Scots by descent myself). I plead pure ignorance about Mr Heman, but I wouldn't mind betting there's a few Scots who would still sniff and say 'I kent his faither'...

capo Oct 15th, 2003 10:42 AM

Thanks for the mention, Sheila. I can't imagine what the world would be like today without the kilt and the caber. :)

sheila Oct 15th, 2003 12:19 PM

or the television, bicycle, MRI scanner, phone, most of the people in Canada, a significant number of Americans, and Australians, tea.. (I could go on- the book is 274 pages long)

I think, Gardy, that Jody was probably thinking of lunch in Edinburgh? Mrs G (Mrs L?)would be welcome too.

Incidentally, drop me an email. Maybe I kent yer faither:)

Gardyloo Oct 15th, 2003 12:20 PM

Sheila, what mischief. Here we're all (okay, me) going off on the ramifications of Mr. Herman's masterwork, whilst you were referring to Elspeth Wills' tome. Which I haven't read. So herewith I shut up on the subject. Another first.

sheila Oct 15th, 2003 02:52 PM

And, to change the subject, have you read &quot;No Great Mischief&quot;? One of the best books I've read in years. About Scots in Canada