Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scottish cashmere (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scottish-cashmere-555198/)

AnaBelen Aug 29th, 2005 05:29 PM

Scottish cashmere

Normally I would rather stick needles in my eyes than go clothes shopping while on vacation. But.....we are heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks, and I have a real thing for cashmere. Any recommendations for stores with nice cashmere sweaters (or should I say jumpers?) in or around Edinburgh or Aberdeen? I would be especially interested in stores with more contemporary styles. The exchange rate is brutal, so I may end up just fondling them instead of buying. Then again, maybe I could make up for all the shopping I have not done on other trips.

Fodorite018 Aug 29th, 2005 07:09 PM

I bought several beautiful cashmere items in Edinburgh. The sweater is still one of my absolute favorites! I cannot remember the exact name of the shop, but it was on the Royal Mile, on a corner, and was something like "House of Cashmere" or "Cashmere House"...anyway, it should be easy to find and the selection was beautiful.

caroline_edinburgh Aug 30th, 2005 04:02 AM

You'll probably find it cheaper at home and I don't have any personal experience other than what I've seen in the windows. But here are a few I remember seeing :-

Belinda Robertson, 13a Dundas Street (New Town). Modern, fashionable, known for wide range of bright colours, v. pricy & posh.

The Cashmere Store of Scotland, 2 St Giles Street (Old Town) - more classic & chunky styles than...

The Cashmere Store of Scotland, ? George Street (New Town) - more elegant fine-knit styles.

Hawick Cashmere, 81 Grassmarket (Old Town) - judging from window display seems to have mainly young & colourful stuff, maybe more affordable.

Most if not all probably have websites so you should be able to get an idea of prices here.

hopingtotravel Aug 30th, 2005 08:18 AM

In the autumn of 1998 I looked through stores all up and down Prince Street in Edinburgh and was shocked to discover the same sweaters that I could buy in Anchorage cost nearly twice as much in Edinburgh because of the exchange rate. I suspect it's higher now.

historytraveler Aug 30th, 2005 09:38 AM

Your post reminded me of my cashmere expedition last year. I had seen a beautiful sweater in a Scottish magazine and was not able to find it on any website, so several months later when in Edinburgh, I spent a considerable amount of time tracking it down. I found it at The Cashmere Store of Scotland in New Town ( was directed by sales clerk from their Royal Mile shop). Unfortunately they did not have it in the color I wanted and the remaining choices were either unsuitable for me or too blah! I also found it a bit scratchy. The price was $400.00. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I've found as others have that with the present exchange rate you can purchase very nice cashmere sweaters here ( U.S.) for less than you'll pay in Scotland.

m_kingdom2 Aug 30th, 2005 09:55 AM

It's not cheap, and really the shape, cut, and form of garments are pretty unimaginative, and really very, very boring. The quality of the cashmere can be pretty good, but it's best left to international designers to form it into something worth wearing.

Vivienne Westwood does quite nice pieces in cashmere, and that might be British sourced. I never really care where it's from as long as it's good quality and well-made. Italian is just as good, if not better!

Save your money, you don't want to end up looking like a golfer.

ThinGorjus Aug 30th, 2005 01:21 PM

I am surprised that caroline didn't tell you to go buy a guidebook on Scots cashmere.

Craigellachie Aug 30th, 2005 02:11 PM

You'll pay well over the odds on Princes Street or the Royal Mile. Todd & Duncan have a factory shop just outside Kinross, about 40 minutes drive from Edinburgh on the way to Perth which will probably be cheaper.
http://www.todd-duncan.com
The only place I know of anywhere near Aberdeen is Johnston's in Elgin, about an hour's drive away. This is a visitor centre & museum as well so the prices might be higher. The visitor centre is interesting in itself - last time I was there they had a plaque showing how high up the wall the flood water rose when the river burst its banks a few years ago!
http://www.johnstonscashmere.com

AnaBelen Aug 30th, 2005 05:57 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will be sure to post a trip report.
Sounds like the prices may prohibit any serious cashmere shopping. No problem......I can just devote more time to the whisky sampling. Hopefully, I won't lose my head and combine the two.

Patrick Aug 30th, 2005 06:19 PM

Good idea. The whiskey is just as smooth as the cashmere!

GoSox Aug 30th, 2005 07:19 PM

I love my cashmere shawl I bought in Pitlochry and I don't care or remember what it cost. Everytime I wear it I spend a few moments back in Scotland.

sheila Sep 5th, 2005 11:10 AM

I'm catching up here, and I would reiterate the Johnston's of Elgin theme for the North East. Other posh shops will have it but Johnstone's is special

Craigellachie Sep 6th, 2005 02:06 PM

While in Elgin, seek out Gordon & McPhail's, one of the most prestigious names in whisky retail. It's not cheap but you'll see whiskies here that you'll find few other places. Just being allowed to look at a bottle worth 7,500 GPB is an experience. I bet they're not allowed to take it down off the shelf in case they drop it.