Scotland with 81 yr old Mother

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland with 81 yr old Mother

My elderly widowed Mother was making her final preplanning and got very emotional about being direct Scottish decent, Douglas, yet never visited Scotland. We thought we might attempt to get her there for a week maximum from the U.S.. While my spouse and myself were there several years ago, it was a fast/furious 3 days attached to an England Tour so saw some of Edinburgh then a coach trip into the Highlands with Glencoe, Inverness. Wondered if anyone might be able to make suggestions on where to start this planning given the circumstances, etc. as well an itinerary. Obviously we will need the majority of this to be riding rather than walking so coach, bus, car, etc. We were there in early May and it was still a bit cool so suggestions on warmer weather, less crowds would be good as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you know which part of the country you Mother's family came from (there are Douglas' allover)?

You could spend maybe 3 days in Edinburgh. I'd hire a driver guide for a couple of those days to take you around to the sites (there are some steep walks in the city).

Then you could rent a car and spend 3 or 4 days combined between the family base and getting there and back. Depending on where that is we could help you work out a doable/easy itinerary that would let you see a lot w/o too much effort.

If she has a handicapped placard --they are accepted in the UK so even at castle ruins and such, you could park close.

I would NOT take a tour . . .
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Group tours - even for the day - are a really bad idea. They often involved significant walking and and the tours are tied for the average person. They can't slow down if somone can;t keep up - and you mother might find herself stuck in a pakred bus or sitting in a pub while others see the sights.

Definitely do on your own and plan on using cabs or car so she can do as little walking/climbing as possible except for the actual sights.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Definitely do on your own and plan on using cabs or car so she can do as little walking/climbing as possible except for the actual sights.</i>"

You don't want a car (of your own) in Edinburgh. The driving is truly crazy. That is why I suggested a driver/guide - a local will be able to get you around w/ less hassle. Cabs are an option, but having your own driver would be better (and not much more expensive).

Then rent a car of your own for after you leave the city.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Greetings. I'm ambivalent about the tour. I took my 85 yr old mother to Paris. She wasn't able to do a lot of walking, but we did a van tour around Paris so she got to "see" sites if not "experience" them. I guess in your position, in the absence of visiting distant relatives, I'd be asking myself what would be the quintessential "Scot" experience. Stay at a castle? See the Highland Fling? Eat haggis? Not sure, but it should be something that is uniquely Scottish. Once you decide on what would thrill her, you can better plan on how to handle the logistics. And she'll be treated well - with respect and courtesy. And you, for being such good kids to your Mum, will be smiled upon too. Have a great time - it will be a wonderful memory. Mine is this: we arrived at the hotel in Paris and I unpacked her suitcase. In it was a plastic bag. "What is this?" I asked. "Cheese," she replied with her sweet little old lady smile. "Where did you get it?" "I brought it from home." Ya gotta laugh!
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Went with my 76 y.o. mother on a tour to Scotland. It was her
first excursion out of N.America and she wanted to see where
her mother and father were from (Jura, Hamilton).

She was a good walker so the tour worked for her. Drove me
crazy - usually only ones awake were the bus driver and me
and the constant stop for tea, pee and souvenir shopping were
most agrivating. lol....but that's not why I'm commenting...

Subconsciouly she was in the Scotland of her parent's time
and the reality was totally unlike her imaginings...she liked
the countryside and enjoyed Oban where her parents honeymooned
but Glasgow/Edinburgh were just too darn modern! So what I'm
saying is - I wish I'd warned her about expectations sometimes
leading to disappointment and the old adage - you can't go
back again - even if you've never been there in the first
place.

She loved Paris.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 02:52 AM

Douglases are LIKELY to be in the Borders, Angus or Lanarkshire, but as janis says they could be form anywhere.

I'd be tempted to do Edinburgh without a car; then hire a car and driver to do the hard bits.

Late May/early June is probably the best time of year.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Good for you to do this with your Mum. If you haven't already thought of it, make sure there are wheelchairs available at the airports coming and going, even if she is able to walk well. It makes things faster and smoother, and she will get more attentive service.

Make sure her travel insurance is adequate, and just go for it. Regardless, it will be the best trip she ever took to Scotland!
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM

My 87 year old mother visited us in Scotland. We reserved a wheel chair (best from Red Cross) for her and a comfortable car. She enjoyed staying with us in a self-catered cottage with a ground floor bed and bathroom and did very well touring with us with specific destinations in a sort of generous radius of the cottage
I have a very poignant photo of her seated on a bench looking out to sea at Tantallon Castle. When I showed it to her and asked her what she was thinking she answered, "I can't believe I am here".