Reload this Page >

SCOTLAND: Where to go? Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 1997, 11:01 AM
Nancy McInnis

I am also going to be in Scotland for 5 days, in June. For a Rotary convention. I need basically the same info along with what to expect with the weather. If you have any response, please let me know.

Thanks

Old Feb 5th, 1997, 11:29 AM
Lanny Morry

Good B & Bs in England, Scotland etc. can be obtained off the web. To get what I wanted for the Cotswolds, for instance I used the following address: webscape.co.uk/farmacomm/england/cotswolds/index.html. I expect you could get Scotland from this.

Edinburgh is a positive must. The Princes Street gardens, shops, museums, the castle, the myriad pubs (all of which must be tried). A wonderful hotel, though pricey, is The George, two streets up from Princes street and centrally located.

Say away from the hokey and over-priced Scottish dinner nights. The food is pedestrian and the entertainers are hams of dubious talent.

Too bad you aren't going to be there is summer as the Tattoo at the Castle is not to be missed.

Old Feb 5th, 1997, 05:05 PM
John C. McKay

Edinburgh is a great place with plenty of B & B's available at about $50 double. Take a hike up King Arthur's Seat which overlooks the Firth and gives a fantastic view of the town. It stays light there easily until 11:00 P.M. during the summer. The castle and the royal mile are "must sees." Be sure to visit the pubs. They're great social gathering places for the "natives." The pub food and drink aren't that bad either. Inverness is a little tourisy; however, the scenery is spectacular. Inverness has many B & B 's available as well. You won't have a hard time finding a place to stay.

Old Feb 7th, 1997, 03:38 AM
Ross Dickson

The tourist information centre, at the East End of Princes St has hundreds of places to stay and all the staff are most helpful. As for attractions there are almost to many list but here are some of the best ones. The top half of the Royal Mile is very necessary! There are many sites of interest beginning with The Castle and including the Whisky Heritage Centre, The Camera Obscura and St Giles Cathedral. An easier alternative to Arthurs Seat is Calton Hill. A mild stroll up the hill gives you views of the city centre, the north of the city and the Forth Valley. Also on Calton Hill are the Observatory (wonderful architecture) and The Edinburgh's Disgrace. For a measly Pound or Two ascend the Scott's Monument on Princes St and then tell me where you have spent better money.

Old Feb 7th, 1997, 06:31 PM
Steve

Try the University of Edinburgh, believe it or not. I stayed in a small, single room for REAL cheap. This works only during the summer recess. Try to go during the Tattoo Festival. Runs late August and/or early September. Very Authentic Scottish stuff - a real emotional treat. The castle is a must - plan a whole day. In Edinburgh proper, there is not a whole lot more to see, other than delightful people, green hills, and clean air. Perhaps the nicest place I have ever been.

Old Feb 12th, 1997, 01:44 PM
JON C.SIMONS

For the Scottish traveller I have to recommend Callander in Perthshire. It is in the centre of everything. Try The Priory for the best B&B my wife and I found -- Tel/fax 01877 330001 ask for room 5 it has a king size bed.

Old Mar 10th, 1997, 08:25 PM
Wendy Kozak

My husband and I went to Scotland last summer in July. We went to the Scottish Tourist Board to find all of our accomodations at B&B's. Out of the five places we booked only one place on the last night of the trip turned out badly. The price ranged from 13 pounds on the Isle of Skye to 16 pounds most every place else. These places were at people's homes rather than a traditional B&B's. This made it more enjoyable because we got to know some of the people we stayed with. Edinburgh is more expensive so we stayed in town nearby called Prestonpans. One neat thing we did in Edinburgh was to go to the Brass Rubbing Center. They provide the materials to recreate replicas of Pictish Stones and Medieval Church Brasses. This is fun if you are into arts and crafts!

Old Mar 26th, 1997, 10:15 PM
Fernando Lomeli

All the other messages in this section mention Edinburgh; however it's a good idea to mix cities with countryside. The most spectacular part of Scotland is the west coast, starting from Glasgow and going as far as Ullapool. A good way of doing this is to take the train called the West Highland Line from Glasgow to Mallaig, then ferries between the islands in the Inner and Outer Hebrides. The ferry company is called Caledonian McBrayne and if you go in summer you should book well in advance. The beaches on this coast are pure white sand with mountains all around - better than anything in Mexico (and I'm Mexican!!)