Scotland Trip with Children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Scotland soon with our two children (both aged 8). We're going for a wedding in Edinburgh, but have also decided to see the Western part of the country.

Most of our trip is planned (Perthshire, Oban and Edinburgh), but I am still looking for a place to stay on the Isle of Arran, preferably in Brodick, and also in Stirling. I would prefer an Inn over a hotel, but a smallish hotel would also be fine. Any suggestions? We would prefer to pay under $250 US dollars a night. Thanks so much for your help.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM

When you say an inn, what do you mean exactly ? Here it means a pub but I suspect Americans use it to mean a bed and breakfast. Which do you mean ? And how many rooms for your $250 ? I don't think quadruple rooms are widely available here, so would that be $250 for 2 twin rooms ?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM

Not knowing your exact itinerary, this suggestion may not work but I'll throw it out there.

Our family stayed for a couple of nights last summer in Crieff which is within striking distance of Stirling and the Trossachs. We stayed in a nice quadruple room (kids had a room with fun bunk beds) at the Murraypark Hotel. This hotel is connected in ownership to the Crieff Hydro resort so we had access to their facilities which include a great indoor pool. Kids loved it and we really liked the Murraypark and its restaurant.

Have a great time! When in Edinburgh, I would suggest that you try to find the armour store near the Castle on the Royal Mile. As you descend from the Castle, it's not too far down the Royal Mile on the right. My son and daughter really had fun checking things out and trying things on there.

I envy you. My heart is always in Scotland.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:28 AM

Lots of B&Bs have family rooms so you shouldn't have too much problem finding a quad (often the kids are in a connecting room).
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM

www.smoothhound.co.uk is great for finding B&Bs and small hotels

It has a 3 star hotel on Aran with a family room for £80-£90 per night.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:33 AM

There are other family rooms listed there, but I think that was cheapest.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM

We have stayed in the Sannox Bay Hotel on Arran.
http://www.sannoxbayhotel.com/index.htm

It's a nice little hotel right on the sea-shore.
The owners are very pleasant and they have a daughter about the same age as your two.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking more of a B&B than pub. Thanks for asking for the clarification. I didn't realize there was a difference.

We're actually staying in Crieff at the beginning of our trip, so I wanted to stay closer to Stirling at the end as I really want to focus on the Trossachs, but also be close enough to the airport to quickly get there on our last day. Stirling seemed a good location for this, but I am open to other suggestions.

btw: I got a recommendation from someone to stay at the Glencloy Farm on Arran Isle and have contacted them. Has anyone else stayed there?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i> We're actually staying in Crieff at the beginning of our trip, so I wanted to stay closer to Stirling at the end as I really want to focus on the Trossachs, but also be close enough to the airport to quickly get there on our last day.</i>&quot;

Crieff is only about 20 miles from Stirling and is just as good a base for touring the Trossachs. It is also less than 30 minutes farther from the airport. Don't get me wrong - the Stirling area is great, just that you shouldn't choose it because you want to be closer to the Trossachs/airport. BTW - if you do decide to stay near Stirling, I would not stay IN Stirling but out in one of the surrounding towns/villages.

But maybe you'd want to explore an entirely different area. Just something to consider. Maybe the Fife coast.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Barley Bree in Crieff for one evening (the first night of our trip). I wonder if we should just return there. Do you know anything about them? I'm always curious to know if what I've chosen lives up to the reputation on Trip Advisor and other sites.

Callendar is also an option. The Lake Hotel looks nice. Is this a better spot to stay with kids than Stirling proper? I'd love input from anyone who has stayed in these locations.

Also, thanks so much for your help. I truly appreciate it.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Lake Hotel is a great location.

Disclaimer - I've stayed there several times but never under the new owners who have upgraded and &quot;poshed up&quot; things. I have no idea if the quality warrants the current rates.

When I stayed there it was still a comfy, family-run, country hotel. Between my parents and myself I think we've stayed there 5 or 6+ times.

Having said that - the hotel's setting on the shore of the Lake of Mentieth is really lovely.