Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-trip-report-606364/)

plr Apr 9th, 2006 07:28 AM

Scotland Trip Report

Well I'm afraid I'm having to come back down to earth now, following my wonderful trip to Scotland during the last 2 weeks of March through April 2nd. Many many thanks to all those on this Message Board who greatly helped me to transform and shape my trip to become more realistic and to come together so well!

Given the time of year (as well as my budget), I decided to rely on the rail system rather than rental car for point to point travel, allowing me to take in the scenery in comfort on the major legs of my journey. The initial challenge as I planned this, of course, was then to figure out how to make the most of my 1-3 day visits in each place by using buses rather than rental cars to get to the sites I hoped to see. My primary interest was in visiting a number of specific castle ruins and at least some of the prehistoric stone circles, cairns & standing stones. It was an adventure, and I'm delighted to say that it all went incredibly smoothly! As has already been noted in a number of posts here, the weather was very cold & blustery much of the time, with nearly daily brief rain or drizzle (doesn't bother me), a day of snow (well okay), sleet (ugh) and driving wind (ouch!) on 2-3 days. I'm still amazed that on at least 2 occasions when I thought I was approaching frostbite or hypothermia all bundled up in layers of polarfleece & long underwear, most of the younger population were jaunting about with jackets open and midrifs bare! I am exaggerating about the frostbite, but did experience one painfully blisteringly cold day because it started out warm, and I did not prepare for a sudden & drastic change to frigid conditions. Hello, this is Scotland!!

I spent my first 3 days in Edinburgh, staying at the Ramada Mount Royal on Princes Street, which I would fully recommend to anyone. Great location, excellent hotel, and bargain rates can be attained with internet shopping. Spent my first 2 days walking all about the Royal Mile, New Town & Old Town, doing all the usual sites listed in the tour books. This was all on foot and keeping a fairly brisk pace due to the cold. I was not prepared for the constant and rather steep hill-walking in the city, but it was okay. I spent the 3rd day taking a daytrip by train to North Berwick, then catching an easy bus directly to Dirleton Castle, followed by another easy combination of 2 buses to Tantallon Castle. I have to say here at the outset, that I was overwhelmed and touched by the consistent kindness, helpfulness, and generosity of all the Scottish folks I met from start to finish of my journey. Truly remarkable. I never hesitated to approach anyone on the street to ask for assistance in finding the right bus or directions to anywhere--and never found anyone who did not seem to take a genuine interest in providing friendly help. Probably one of my most outstanding memories of my trip. And this is why the train/bus travel seemed so trouble-free. I was able to easily spend about 3 delightful hours at each of these castle ruins, and due again to the time of year, felt like I had them almost to myself! (Added to the amazing atmosphere of the places).

I then took the train to Oban, checked into a very pleasant guest house called the Sgeir Mhaol, and hopped a bus which dropped me right at the Dunstaffnage Castle, 30 minutes north of the city. Several hours there, and had time to do a leisurely walking tour of Oban. The guest house is located just a couple of blocks from everything, and nearly across the street from the car hire where I had rented my only car for the following day. It was well worth the price of the car to spend that day driving down through the Kilmartin Glen, hopping in & out at will, to explore Carnasserie Castle and then all the incredible number of prehistoric sites clustered within this 4-5 mile area of the Kintyre Peninsula. What an experience. Happened that the weather was also perfect! My only disappointment of my entire time in Scotland was that I drove seemingly forever at the end of this day to Castle Sween, and it was for me a complete waste of time. A completely unimpressive ruin which barely warranted a 10-minute visit. Isles of Mull & Iona will have to wait for another trip, as Kilmartin was my priority this time.

The next day consisted of that well-recommended rail journey from Oban to Mallaig, which truly was a feast for the eyes. The landforms are magnificent, and train windows allow for the most expansive views to both sides. I loved it. Took the ferry to Armadale and then a bus directly on to the Mackinnon Country House Hotel in Kyleakin--another wonderful choice which I would fully recommend. The owners of this hotel extended a very special kindness to me while I was there, and clearly took extra pains for all their guests. (Hope that doesn't sound inappropriate, but I hesitate to give the specifics, since I am not sure they would want to have an expectation set up). I did visit the Eilean Donan Castle just from the outside, and was not disappointed. Whether or not it is authentic, the castle is as beautiful as the photos one sees. Skye will also have to wait for my next trip (in warmer weather!), as I deliberately decided to breeze on through.

Next day was another wonderfully scenic rail journey--all the way from Kyle of Lochalsh to Stonehaven, with a 10-minute walk to Heugh Hotel. (I loved every place I chose to stay, and would be happy to try to recall details of any of them, if needed). My only destination here was the half-day I spent at the Dunnottar Castle, which was probably the most awesome experience of my entire trip. Wow. I really haven't found words to adequately describe the feelings this place conjured up. Accessible by bus, but did have to walk the 2-3 miles back to town to avoid an hour-long wait for a return-bus. The walk was all high, level ground along the coast & so was quite enjoyable. I lucked out with great weather on this day as well.

From here I took the train to Birnam/Dunkeld, staying within a block of the station, at the Birnam Guest House for a couple of nights (suggested by Sheila here). Caught a really excellent traditional music session at the Tap next door, though nothing much going on at the Taybank when I was there. I visited Huntingtower Castle (by bus) in Perth, but learned that Elcho Castle was unfortunately not yet open for the season. Sheila, I did not receive your email until I got back, but I certainly appreciate your generous offers to help with so many aspects of my trip-planning! Dunkeld is a nice little town, but not much of a draw for me. Maybe it was the time of year, but there seemed little to do there, and I spent my days in the Perth area.

From there to Stirling, where I stayed at Number Ten on Gladstone Place (a B&B which really should be classified as a guest house--recommended by Janis here). Loved it! Visited Stirling Castle in sleet & gale force winds, and spent a full day touring the old city, the ancient graveyard, etc. Really an enjoyable city to roam. Spent the next day with a carefully pre-planned bus trips to coordinate & spend about 3 hours each at Doune Castle and Castle Campbell. The hike up to Castle Campbell was strenuous, but gorgeous. And the weather cooperated!

And then from there, I returned to Edinburgh for a few days to continue what I'd started at the beginning, using a bus day pass (what a great deal, at 2.30 pounds for 24 hours!), doing the museums, and more walking tours. All of my strenuous walking finally resulted in shin splints and swollen feet by the end of these last couple of days, but I was not slowed down. I think the only place that did not cappture my interest in Edinburgh, was Holyrood Palace. But preferences are such a personal thing, that I hesitate to even mention it.

I'm finding it hard to write this travel report, as there is just so much that seems need to communicate, that the task seems impossible, and thoughts become fragmented with repetitious statements of delight, but with little substance shared. I loved my journey. The castle ruins were all awesome. The people I met were wonderful. I was relatively new to public transportation, and found it a pure joy--will repeat this means of travel in Scotland on my next trip. Will also be happy to elaborate details if anyone requests such.

plr Apr 9th, 2006 08:14 AM

PS--I tried 3 times to clean up some typos & poor grammar, but the Edit function is not working at this time. I did try to mention that if anyone requests more detail about any aspect of my report, I'll try not to continue to "gush!" :)

sheila Apr 9th, 2006 08:23 AM

plr, great report. i do so love it when youse guys make it clear to your compatriots that Scotland is not just Idinburgh, Inverness, Skye.

I had got a volunteer for your trip to Elcho. Maybe next time?

BTW, this board doesn't have an Edit function. We all wish it did.

lal_birch Apr 9th, 2006 08:37 AM

hi plr

I'm just planning our trip now and am intrigued by your report, including your description of Dunnottar Castle. We'll be staying near Dunkeld and have planned a "castle" day. My 14 YO daughter is choosing the castles, so I'll send her to check out this one.

rogerdodger Apr 9th, 2006 09:09 AM

Enjoyed your report very much. Thank you.

plr Apr 9th, 2006 09:16 AM

Sheila, there is an Edit function which has always worked for me here, and is now working again (when you click on "Preview My Reply" and then on the bottom of the page)--but just out of order earlier today I guess.

And Sheila's comment above about having found someone to help me out in getting to an out of the way castle (Elcho) which was nowhere near a bus run--is yet another shining example of what I experienced of the people of Scotland throughout my trip. Sheila doesn't know me from Adam's housecat! (I rarely touch a computer when on holiday, Sheila, so I missed your note).

I just noticed that I forgot to mention my train hop to Linlithgow Palace (2 blocks from the train station) on my last day. What a place! Even more than all of the other ruins I visited, it's an amazing labyrinth of stairways and passageways and rooms that put about 5 miles on my weary feet just within the castle walls itself! Not to be missed. And just to underscore here that my passion is with the more "ruiny" castles rather than the fancy refurbished & furnished palaces & castles & such.

Yes indeed, Scotland is certainly more than Edinburgh, Inverness & Skye! :)

sheila Apr 9th, 2006 09:23 AM

I see what you mean. Most of us are too lazy to use that function:)

Lal, Dunottar's a heck of a long way from Dunkeld. Doable, but a long way. Glamis, you want, I think.

plr Apr 9th, 2006 09:57 AM

lal, I agree with Sheila here, since the train trip at high speeds was several hours from Stonehaven (Dunnottar Castle) to Perth. If you are staying in Dunkeld, I would recommend Doune Castle, which is about 20 minutes north of Stirling. I'm sure there are other choices in the area, and especially if you (or your daughter) are interested in the more Victorian-era type castles or palaces. Actually, a 2-day stay in the Stonehaven or Aberdeen area looks like it would offer up numerous choices for castles in a relatively compact area. I'd better leave that for the natives to comment upon. :)

And for anyone interested in the castles, I again should mention a wonderful book which I enjoyed from cover to cover, and which greatly helped in shaping my trip: "Castles & Ancient Monuments of Scotland" by Damien Noonan for The Daily Telegraph. Knowledgably opinionated and chatty, easy read, and a very good way to begin to narrow down the choices according to your specific interests.

caroline_edinburgh Apr 10th, 2006 03:43 AM

So glad you had a nice time & found people here helpful. You are an inspiration to us all, making such good use of buses & trains !

MissPrism Apr 10th, 2006 04:13 AM

You have noticed what amazes us older folk.
Young women are quite impervious to cold even in the North.
You see them going in and out of nightclubs semi-naked.
I'm surprised that they don't catch their deaths of cold.

sweetbippity Apr 10th, 2006 04:19 AM

I, too, enjoyed your report - I see so many posts that seemingly discourage the use of public transportation (in favour of renting a car), so it was refreshing to read about your positive experience.

PatrickLondon Apr 10th, 2006 05:02 AM

>I'm surprised that they don't catch their deaths of cold.<

I assume the aim is to (ahem) attract a means of keeping warm. If there are those who fail - well, it's survival of the fittest, isn't it?

lal_birch Apr 10th, 2006 12:36 PM

Sheila, Plr

Thanks for the comments s re driving to Dunnottatar. Glamis it is - may daughter calls it the fairy tale castle is quite interested in seeing it. If we have time, we'll add to the list ...Lal

leonberger Apr 10th, 2006 04:45 PM

plr, I loved your report - nice job!

It's great to read about places that you particularly liked and why. (So don't apologize for "gushing" - it's what we want to hear.)

We stopped at Dunnottar, too (captured by the pictures and descriptions in my guidebook), but were too late to actually go in. Really enjoyed just looking at it, though, and "someday" we'll go back.

Your report brought back many memories from our earlier trips, and whetted my appetite for our trip in May/June. (Great, now I'm really cranky about waiting another 6 weeks before I an go!)

There's just too much to see and do in Scotland! And not enough time off from work to do it!

Great job on using public transportation, too. We always rent a car, but it's nice to know a wonderful trip is possibly via trains & buses.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Gayle

robbylea Aug 2nd, 2006 02:21 PM

I love your report! I'm planning a trip to England & Scotland April 3, 2007 to April 24, 2007 to visit a friend. We only get to spend half the time in Scotland, though. I loved all the info in your report. A question though - do you happen to know how common it is to get snow that time of year? I was expecting it to be a bit cold, but not that cold! I was only planning on taking one sweater and a rain jacket, but I'm also extremely warm natured! :)

janisj Aug 2nd, 2006 05:38 PM

Snow isn't terriblly likely - but cool to cold weather is <b>very</b> likely. Trust me - if you only have one sweater for an April trip to anywhere the UK (let alone Scotland) it will be pretty gamey by day 21. You'll probably get some great weather too - but at that time of year cool/cold/wet is more the norm than warm/dry.

Nelson Aug 3rd, 2006 09:06 AM

Great trip report, pir! I especially would like to second your comment on the friendliness of the Scottish people, which I regretfully omitted from my recent report. Just super all the way.

In our two nights in Stonehaven we received four (!) rides from people:

1) One guy drove us from the train station to our B&amp;B (we were going to walk)

2) A couple dropped us at the RSPB bird sanctuary (we were going to take a bus)

3) A fascinating guy we met there took us to Dunnottar Castle (we were planning to bus or walk)

4) The ticket seller at Dunnottar drove us back to Stonehaven (we were going to walk, but it was now raining and blowing cold).

However, I don't think this is what folks have in mind when they mention public transportation!

It would be nice to have an Edit function on these boards <i>after</i> you have posted your message, that's when you discover all the typos ...

Danna Aug 3rd, 2006 12:30 PM

plr, what a great report! I too am a big fan of the bus. We have rented cars in Scotland, but never really enjoy it as much as the bus. It's good to be able to sit back and watch the countryside. Also, most of the things we wanted to see were available on a bus line. Just have to work around those time tables.

I also agree with your description of the Scots. When a friend asked me why we always seem to go to Scotland my response? &quot;There are Scots here.&quot; I too have found folks always willing to help, direct, lend a hand, and share a pint. Thank you for your heart warming (even if you were a wee bit chilly) report.

sheila Aug 6th, 2006 03:38 AM

Shucks (blushes)

Danna Aug 6th, 2006 01:15 PM

ROFLMAO... the thought of Sheila actually saying 'Shucks' out loud cracks me up!