Scotland transportation for October 2018

Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland transportation for October 2018

Hello.
We are looking for help with transportation around Scotland. We are traveling from NY to Edinburgh arriving Thursday AM 10/4. And will need to take the tram or bus to the Sheraton Grand Hotel. I believe Haymarket is the closest station. Which would be more convenient and direct?
Also we plan to take the train from Edinburgh to Inverness on Saturday 10/6. We tried looking up the schedule but we need guidance on what is the most direct route and carrier?can we reserve seats? On what site do we buy the advanced tickets? Price?
From Inverness we will we take a train to Glasgow 10/8. So same train questions
Finally we will need to find transportation from the Glasgow Marriott to the Glasgow Airport.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 08:08 PM

It's really pretty easy. Go to National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables website. Plug in your departure station and arrival station, then your dates, followed by approximate time you want to leave. Don't worry about the carrier. Your route will determine that. A list of possible departures will come up. Most likely you will want one without any changes, but look across at duration, changes, and shortest time. Check fares as different departures can have be priced very differently. Actually a quick look at your dates for Edinburgh to Inverness show an 8:34 and an !0:36 departure with no changes, however, the 9:36 had an easy change at Perth ( 22 minutes plenty of time ) and it also has the cheapest fare.I'd probably go with it . Returning to Glasgow on the 8th, there is a 8:45 direct to Queens Street Station.

Once you decide which train you want just click on purchase tickets and proceed from there. If reservations are possible, they will show that option and usually let you make your seat selection. You usually have the choice of printing your tickets or picking then up at any train station ( at special machines to do so ) before you departure. This is what I usually do.
I'm not familiar with the tram stops but likely Haymarket is your best option for the Sheraton. At least you can easily catch a taxi to take you on to the Sheraton. Not sure I'd want to do the walk, but maybe it's close than I remember.

Haven't used Glasgow airport for years but assume there is easy transportation from the Marriott. Check with them.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 08:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Finally we will need to find transportation from the Glasgow Marriott . . . <<. Which Marriott? If you mean the one on Argyll Street - a taxi is about your best option. Otherwise it is a bus then changing at Buchanan Street to another bus. A taxi will cost between £20-ish and £35-ish depending on the time of day and traffic.

For the Edinburgh Sheraton -- your options are really the AirLink bus which stops about a 5 or 6 minute walk from the Hotel, or the tram and then a half mile walk from Haymarket, or a taxi. I'd just take a taxi.

(Question - are you staying at the Sheraton with points? If so that's fine. But if you are paying, it really isn't the best location for touring Edinburgh)
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are staying at the both the Marriott and Sheraton with points. And yes it is the Glasgow Marriott on Argyle.