Scotland tour in August

Dec 28th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Kate

Scotland tour in August

We are thinking about taking a 2 week tour to Scotland or Ireland in August. We have never been to the UK, which would be better, Ireland or Scotland? There is a large group of us going (about 16) and we are looking at tour companies, and Brendan Tours piqued our interest, because they visit the Orkney Islands in Scotland, and Giants Causeway in Ireland, both places that interest us. Any suggestions???

Dec 28th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Sarah

Without a doubt, I'd recommend Scotland. Having been to both, at this stage of my travels, I would be hard pressed to go back to Ireland if I had the opportunity to spend more time enjoying the beauty and people of Scotland.

Dec 28th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Mel

This was asked very recently--seek the thread.

Scotland, Scotland, Scotland. Wonderful place, wonderful people ANY time of the year, but August? Even better in Edinburgh because of the Festival, which includes the Tattoo.

Warning, however: Book soon!

Dec 28th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Cindy

Mel:

Why do you say, Warning, book soon?

Dec 28th, 2001, 11:24 AM
janis

Mel's warning to book soon is because Scotland - but mostly Edinburgh has three times the tourists in August than in any other month. This really goes for most of the UK - but Edinburgh is a special case. The Tattoo, Festival, Fringe Festival, Childrens Festival and other events all occur in August.

But if you are mainly thinking of a remote tour to the Orkneys and the north you should be OK. But any tour through the Edinburgh area would probably be booked up early.

But there is a major caveat this year since US to UK travel is way down since 9-11 so things may still be slower than normal by August.

Search this Thread