Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland solo/no driving? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-solo-no-driving-309838/)

SusieQQ Feb 23rd, 2008 04:51 AM

Scotland solo/no driving?

I am doing preliminary research for a solo, non driving trip to Scotland. I'm an older, but active, woman. My thoughts are to fly into Edinburgh and site-see there and take a few day trips with a tour company. Where to go from there by train? I like just about any cultural experience, such as castles, wildlife, museums, etc.. I will probably be in Scotland for two weeks in September. Suggestions?

SusieQQ Feb 23rd, 2008 10:47 AM

TTT

Pegontheroad Feb 23rd, 2008 11:07 AM

My first step when I go to somewhere new is to get a Rick Steves of the country and get a sort of overview. He has lots of useful information about trains, tours, etc., as well as good hotel and B&B recommendations.

His books are selective rather than comprehensive, but I find them very useful as a beginners guide.

I was in Scotland briefly almost 40 years ago (I too am an active older woman), but the only specific things I remember and would recommend were a military tattoo (great bagpipes and lots of kilts) and a cool castle, whose name unfortunately I cannot remembers.

Have fun on your trip. This reminds me that I'd like to spend some time in Scotland.

kmbp Feb 23rd, 2008 11:30 AM

You'll find a wide range of tours out of Edinburgh at www.rabbies.com.

Daytrips, and longer ones as well.

SusieQQ Feb 23rd, 2008 02:05 PM

Thanks, Pegonthe road and kmpb...I have ordered some Scotland guides and have checked out rabbies tours.

RosemaryM Feb 23rd, 2008 02:13 PM

Hi SusieQQ
From Edinburgh you can take a train to Linlithgow. It is not very far and a regular service. The town is attractive and walkable and Linlithgow Palace is the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots. It is a ruin but there is an amazing lot left to explore. Many of the buildings in the town are very old as well.
Have a great trip

Rosemary

SusieQQ Feb 23rd, 2008 05:45 PM

Thanks Rosemary, sounds like something I'd like to do.

pittpurple Feb 24th, 2008 03:23 AM

If you want to take an overnight out of Edinburgh, my mom and I took the train to St Andrews last summer. It's a lovely place with cute shops, a ruined castle and cathedral and a beautiful beach to take a walk. You take the train and then a bus (it's really easy and well-marked).

My husband and I also took the train to Dunfermline to see the ruined castle and abbey there - it's a short trip and easily done in a day. There are some cute pubs on the main street and we had a lovely lunch. It's an easy day-trip.

Have fun.

SusieQQ Feb 24th, 2008 03:49 AM

Thanks, Pittpurple, I'll put those two on my list of possibilities to check out.

Ackislander Feb 24th, 2008 03:58 AM

Some years back, my daughter and I took the following incredibly scenic trip all by public transportation:

Edinburgh-Glasgow by train-change stations --
West Highland Railway to Ft William and on to Mallaig.

To Skye via CalMac ferry-Portree by bus-hang out, local tours by bus --

Kyle of Lochalsh by bus, train through Great Glen to Inverness -- hang out, local touring.

Train to Aberdeen, local touring. Train back to Edinburgh along coastal route. Could have taken side trip to St Andrews.

Stirling makes a nice one day train excursion from Edinburgh.