Best place to lodge between Milan and Bolzano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying in Milan from the states and renting a car to get to the Dolomites. We need advice on the best location to stay between Milan and Bolzano for our first night - has anyone done this, or have good suggestions?
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I might suggest Verona but this is difficult for me since I do not know what might interest you, how far you feel comfortable driving that first day, etc.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

We're pretty hearty and with a good cup of espresso should be okay to drive a while. I had thought about Verona and it may be the optimum choice. Do you have a favorite lodging choice? We're trying to stay under 150 per night.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Primarily interested in quaint villages, beautiful architecture and good scenery. We'll be hiking a lot in Dolomites so don't need any aerobic opportunities first night.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Verona would be a slight detour (and beyond) your direct route, and it has a ZTL. Unless you really want to see the Verona sights, I'd pick something on the direct route with easy in/out.

We're doing something a bit similar in October in the opposite direction, and I decided Rovereto fit the bill. I booked the Hotel Rovereto because it would be easy to find, even in the dark, and has a restaurant that gets good reviews in case we want to just drop anchor on arrival. There are also a couple of interesting museums if we reach the hotel earlier than expected.

http://hotelrovereto.it/en/

If you didn't want to drive that far, I'd look at Desenzano del Garda or Peschiera del Garda.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Sirmione on Lago Garda.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Verona or Saló on Lake Garda.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM

I read this thread together with the former one about the best itinerary to Bolzano. The point is not driving on a jet lag - suggesting Rovereto is a bit strange, as when you are in Rovereto you have already driven 70% of the route to Bolzano.

Desenzano or Peschiera are about half way - but all the south zone of Garda is very crowded in August so this may be a factor.

If the original poster wants to try the Stelvio route (and I do not advice so) any place along lake Como may do, as well as places like Sondrio or Bormio.

If the airplane arrives late in the day, Arona on lake Maggiore is close to MXP - in the opposite direction of Bolzano but so close it does not really matter.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The route through Sondrio/Bormio would be very scenic, but the drive times are quite a bit longer. The drive time from Malpensa to Sondrio would be about the same as to Rovereto, and then the drive to Bolzano the next day would be 3 hours instead of 1 hour. Driving Malpensa to Bormio would take the same amount of time as driving all the way to Bolzano.

If this trip is in August (which I don't see mentioned by the OP), there will be lots of traffic to and around all of the lakes.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM

I would head to Lovere on Lago d'Iseo, which is about 90 minutes from Malpensa, and then take the SS42 up to Bolzano the following day. Taking the SS42 will add about 30 minutes than the southern autostrade route around the bottom of Lago di Garda, but it is more interesting.

But I am assuming you are going before snow season. If you are going in snow season, then maybe Bergamo would be interesting.

Problem with Rovereto anytime soon is that the perhaps most interesting thing in Rovereto --
the MART, etc -- currently has most of the collection in New York (at the Guggenheim). And, as noted, it is so close to Bolzano, one might as well keep going.

I would definitely avoid Verona, which is filled with traffic violation traps and is really not optimal for a one-night, jet lagged stay.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Sorry -- realized my suggestion about Bergamo was not clear.

If you are going in winter, then you should take the autostrade that go south of Lago di Garda, and then veer north at Verona and take you through Rovereto and Trento, etc. Taking that route, it might be nice to stop in Bergamo, rain or shine.

If you are going in drier months, consider Lovere on Lago d'Iseo, and then the next day a scenic drive on mountain roads to Bolzano (3 hours), with a break for an interesting lunch.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re Verona. There are not that many non-car zones in the town and there are many things to see despite the bad rap it has been given above. However, I would not stay there "just for the night."